To Carp or Not to Carp???

Started by Bill B, June 21, 2013, 01:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

The creek behind the kid's school that's holding some LARGE carp...are they edible or just fun to catch...but then what's not fun to catch :P  Heard one person describe them as a "muddy water bonefish" when hooked....so if faced with 20 lbs of live carp....how would you prepare it!  Most things are good deep fried....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

BMITCH

Tarfu, in my experience carp are soft and taste like mud. I'm sure someone here will blast me for that, but...I don't know if it's worth the effort. They are a lot of fun to catch though.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

TomT

On TV I saw a restaurant in mid USA that sells over 2000 lbs of carp every week and has been in business for years so someone must like it.  They had a headless, tailless, skinless fish with bone-in.  They made up & down slices about every 2 inches.  Then they breaded it with a flour, cornmeal mix and made sure to open up the cuts to get breading into every nook & crannie.  Then they deep fried it.  They have lots of return customers who can't believe they like carp. 
Another memory is that I inherited my love of fishing from my dad.  He would NEVER eat any fish so we gave a lot of fish away and we always gave the carp away.  Most of the other fishermen trying to catch the carp were Asians or Blacks & they loved them.  I am sure that someone must have a "secret" recipe they would be willing to share.
TomT

spottybastard

I was watching Bizarre Foods America with Andrew Zimmerman, he was in Minnesota, they catch them bow fishing and then smoked them.  He said it kind of reminded him of smoked pork.  I find that very hard to believe, but they were first brought to America by Europeans for food.  But then again Europeans will eat anything...LOL.

Keta

If caught in clean water carp are good to eat, skin and smoke them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Thank you for the advice....will give it a try....will keep you posted
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

akfish

The tv show Bottomfishers shows commercial fishermen catching carp as well as buffalo and catfish and selling them for consumption so apparently they are popular in some places. While living in Wisconsin I ate smoked carp a few times. It was ok, but not quite smoked salmon.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Nuvole

I've not tried crap yet, but for fish from muddy pond I'll suggest you make sweet sour fish or something with strong tasting sauce. I'll try to pull out some chinese recipe tomorrow ;-)

Alto Mare

I used to eat cow's tongue, tripe, snakes, lamb brain and more. How bad could it be :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Sal,
When I was a kid I caught like a 15# carp. I was sooooo excited about the big fish I had just brought home to my grandparents house that they cooked it up. My grandmother being off the boat French eat EVERYTHING. well needless to say this is one of the few times I ever saw her throw out anything edible. So tread lightly with the carp. Or maybe, just like bluefish you need the small cocktail blues in order to have a tasty fish. I dunno, but I can tell you that I don't think I'll go the carp route again. Buon appetite.
Bob

Alto Mare

Just a comment Bob, I wouldn't touch that stuff and the other that I mentioned. Growing up I didn't have a choice.
i'm waiting for someone to say taste just like chicken ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Joel.B

If you have a good Chinese or Thai, Vietnamese restaurant in your hood- ask them if they will cook you a carp if you bring them some

Pepper-dry-fried carp, fish balls....soup.....they can do amazing things with carp

BMITCH

Quote from: Joel.B on June 21, 2013, 05:52:41 PM
If you have a good Chinese or Thai, Vietnamese restaurant in your hood- ask them if they will cook you a carp if you bring them some

Pepper-dry-fried carp, fish balls....soup.....they can do amazing things with carp
Fish balls ::) ::)

Cone

Sal, I've had cow's tongue. It's really a pretty piece of meat after you "skin" it. My wife's father used to eat strange things. When I would come over he would say " close your eyes and open your mouth". Of course I'm the only one that would.  :o Hogs head cheese, squid stew with whole squid tentacles and eyes,etc. He used to smear the house phone with limburger cheese to keep my wife and brother in law from talking on it. My wife won't eat any of it now. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

bluefish69

My family has always eaten Beef Tongue. It's Kosher. I ate a triple decker sandwich in a Kosher Deli 3 weeks ago -- Corned Beef -- Pastrami -- Beef Tongue / Russian Dressing / Cole Slaw

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.