Hi from Sydney

Started by simondema, June 22, 2013, 10:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simondema

Hi all
Been looking at this amazing site for some time and have decided to join.
I do mostly kayak fishing here in Sydney, although last year I spent about 10 days living aboard a fishing boat fishing the Outer Barrier Reef around Cairns. I was bitten by the trolling bug of catching Spanish Mackerel,bottom bashing for Red Emperor and Cod and having fun catching sharks which severely tested our gear. Of course all sharks were duly released.

Now I am looking at returning this year and considering some gear upgrades, especially as we are heading back up around October (read Marlin season).
Been considering buying the new Stella 20000 spinning reel, but also looking at buying a Shimano Tiagra 50. I looked at the Accurate Twinspins, but unfortunately they are very difficult to find here in Australia and when you do, the prices are..well..exorbitant.

Hoping to get some good advice from people with a lot more knowledge than me.
Thanks

Simon

redsetta

Welcome aboard Simon.
Be great to see some pics from your trip!
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

simon, a friend of mine wants to sell a couple of tiagra, but i do not know what size they are.  i can find out and let you know.  and welcome!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

simondema

Thanks for the welcome.
That would be great, Alan. Guess probably the 50 would be more than enough. I have also placed a bid on a 2 speed Everol 4/0 in the UK. Being of Italian parents, I felt I had to uphold the patriotic flag!
Thanks

Simon
P.s will try to post some photos ASAP

Cone

Welcome Simon. We have a few Italians here. You will fit right in! We love pics.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Welcome from the Sacramento Delta
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

welcome to Mr. Tani's neighborhood...

simondema

Thanks to all for the wonderful welcome.

In the past couple of days I have managed to bid and win on an Everol 4/0 two speed reel, brand new from the UK. I have always wanted one of these reels and although here in Australia they are not a brand that is well known (infact I don't even think there is a distributor) to me they are an absolute classic. Shimano and Daiwa reign supreme Downunder, and very little else is discussed or indeed used, unlike in the USA.

I have always preferred the simple mechanical reels, as with my cars, as I believe it is always possible to try to fix them yourself, and the joy of being able to do that is incredible, as this website attests.
So with that in mind, I will arm myself with all the tools and eventually muster up the courage to dismantle this reel and hopefully post a pictorial on its overhaul on this site.
Oh yes, I am also still looking for a Shimano Stella 18000 or 20000 the 2013 model.

Simon

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Zimbass

Hi Simon. Great people on this site, and know you will learn lots.

Hope Oz beat the Lions after they gave the game away on Saturday  >:(

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

simondema

Quote from: Zimbass on June 25, 2013, 06:29:32 AM
Hi Simon. Great people on this site, and know you will learn lots.

Hope Oz beat the Lions after they gave the game away on Saturday  >:(

Hmmm...yes well...let's not go there, shall we?  ;D

Reelz

Hi there welcome to the forum.

saltydog

Welcome from Texas.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

harryk3616

good morning, a warm welcome from long island new york, you will definately  enjoy your stay here and learn a bunch from knowledged fellows.   harryk