Removing the d**n hook

Started by mrbrklyn, June 26, 2013, 02:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

So, I'm on the boat today, catching some decent Sea Bass, Ling and even a Fluke.  I wenbt out today after a long stessful overnight, and I wasn't even really feeling well.  But I needed to break my stress so I headed out to the docks and went fishing.  But, it is embassing that even after all these years, I still can't seem to get the darn fish off the hooks with any efficiency.  On the boat, when fish are hitting, that is not the time to be wating fighting with a Ling that has a hook stuck in its tongue.  And those things are slimy and hard to hold.  Meanwhile, the mates come in and whip whip whip, the fish is off the hook!

I even had a Sea Bass that was hooked on the lip that I couldn't unhook for beans today.  Some of it was pure exhaustion, but some of it is just incompentence.  There has to be a technique to this.

Ruben

bluefish69

Ruben

It takes practice to get speed at what you want. Sometimes I have a problem if the hook gets in a tough spot in the fish. You need a good pair of pliers & a Hook Degougher. Stella Maris or your favorite place Bernie's has the tools that you need. I'll be on Pier 6 Sat. & Sun. morning.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Keta

Get a pair of long nosed pliers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

When I was in the army, these guys would get shot from behind the lines.

Ruben, that's some pretty dark stuff there. :( seriously , you can't control these people on a PB. Theythinkbecause they're paying for it they own the right to do whatever they want. Sometimes when you add tooooo much alcohol the situation just becomes worse. Best thing and safest in some cases is to just move away from them. Especially if the boat isnot all that crowded. Or another option may be to wear a helmet and goggles.lol ;D
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

Try pushing the hook away from the bend and slipping it out, I remove hundreds of hooks a year when "playing" deckhand on the charter boat and can't even think how I do it.

Have a spare rod handy for when you get in tangles with other fishermen.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

always wear a brimmed hat to protect your eyes from hooks.

Good point.

BMITCH

Ruben, here is the little I know about human nature. You cannot control the actions of others! You can only control your actions and how you would like to be treated by others. Weather the latter actually happens the way you want it to remains to be seen. In 30+ years on PB's I've seen some scary stuff. Some learn and some you just can't teach a thing. This is all that I can expect. In most cases you can offer some insight and encouragement and more times than not it is taken. When it's not,it's your actions which will define you. Have fun and like Keta suggested. Bring a couple extra outfits with you( which I know you do, I've seen your prior posts) cut your line when tangled bad, and continue to fish.

Tight lines, Bob

bluefish69

You have said everything except -- You didn't tell the Captain or the Mate. That is why I just do the cooking & do not come on deck.

Mike

bluefish69

Ruben

I don't know what to tell you. The Bay has always been a rough place but now the novices & internet fishermen are taking over & they don't care about the next person.

Mike

Ron Jones

He means literally away from the bend. Most people try to "spin" the hook backwards so the point takes the same path as when in entered the skin. When you do that you allow the barb to work the way it is supposed to and keep the hook set. This is basically mimicking what the fish does and so it is a good thing that it doesn't work.

If you grab the hook by the eye and top of the shank and hold the fish in such a way that you can push the hook toward the bend (about 4:30 in the picture you provided) the bend holds the hole in the fish open for the barb and point to pass through and so there is nothing that gets caught. If the fish is hooked through the tongue then this normally means using pliers and pushing the hook INTO the fish. I know this sounds counter intuitive but believe us, it works.

I am not sure if a ling where you are is a ling where I am, but if so they have a lot of teeth! Even so the best way to hold them still is with a good landing glove by the lower jaw. I have found that this is like putting a rabbit on it's back, the fish calms down and lets you work.

The mates do this for a living, they are kind of a high standard to strive for. I guess there is nothing wrong with that.

Hope I helped,
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Grab shank, push down toward point and barb, slide hook out.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
"

Cone

I've done something similar. I take a loop of line mono or whatever, and pass it thru the bend. Push down on the eye and pull on the loop. If it's all the way through cut off the barb instead.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

BMITCH

Quote from: mrbrklyn on July 04, 2013, 11:45:45 PM
I put some of this advise to use last trip and had some better results....at least with porgies.

Ruben, if trying to quickly unhook fish, there are some really good dehooker( if that's a word) on the market. I've used one for the past couple of years cAlled the ARC dehooker. Google that name and you'll get a bunch of options. Basically it does the same action that everyone here has described. It pushes down on the shank of the hook allowing for easy hook removal. Really good for unhooking fish that have swallowed the hook.best of luck.
Bob