Aloha and Mahalo from Hawai'i

Started by Kau Grown, June 29, 2013, 10:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kau Grown

Aloha guys,
 I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. First off, BIG MAHALO to brother Alan Tani and all of you for contributing tons and tons of valuable information and help to this awesome site!
 My name is Rob and I was born and raised on the Big Island of Hawai'i. I grew up on the south side of the island in the district of Ka'u, I am a 35 year old  native Hawaiian and have always had a passion for fishing and the ocean from day day I was born. I have been fishing since I was 3 and tried almost every type of fishing there is to do here in Hawaii. My new passion now is kayak fishing, I started kayak fishing a few years ago after a bad accident that screwed up one of my legs. I got it to keep in shape since walking and running was pretty much impossible to do after the accident, I paddled my yak around for a couple of weeks to get comfortable on it before I decided to bring a rod out to try and catch some dinner and also get exercise at the same time. After a lot of trial and error of trying to catch something I finally hooked and landed my first Ulua "Giant Trevally" a few weeks later. The rush of being dragged around at water level was like no other fishing experience I ever had! Since then I have learned a lot, and fine tuned my yak, gear and myself to hook and land giant pelagic fish from my yak! I have caught numerous amounts of Wahoo's, Mahimahi's, Sailfish, and Yellow fin Tuna's. I have currently hooked and landed five 100 plus pound Tuna's from my yak, 3 in one week about a month ago with my largest weighing in at 114.5 pounds.
 Although kayak fishing is great, my reels take a beating from saltwater being that they are so close to the water and at times gets dunked in on accident. There are only a couple tackle shops here on the Big Island that does reel servicing here and most of the time they are slammed, expensive and are about a 100 mile drive away! It was costing me a lot to have my reels serviced often being that my reels are getting a lot of saltwater on them, So I am trying to learn to service them myself. Having this awesome forum to learn from is so helpful and I am very grateful for all the experienced, talented and friendly guys here!!! I wanna wish everyone the best of luck, tight lines and safe fishing!

Mahalo and Aloha,

Rob Wong Yuen

I wanted to share a short vid of myself catching a 114.5# Yellow fin Tuna from my kayak, Mahalo.

Check out my pro athlete page on FB for more action!
"Rob Wong Yuen - Pro Kayak Angler"
Tours:Extreme808Kayak@gmail.com

BMITCH

Welcome Rob, great video. Thanks for sharing.
Bob from NJ
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

E komo mai bradah Rob. Glad you joined & mahalo for sharing. Sounds like you are now set. If you have any questions, we are here to help.

Aloha, bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

Rob,

Aloha.  E komo mai.  Excellent video.

I stopped by Wong Yuen Store many time going to and from Ka Lae.  Mostly casting in the 70s, now very rarely.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bill B

Welcome from the Sacramento Delta...what are you doing now to your reels to keep them alive after the saltwater punishment?
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

rob, i want you to know that i say this with the deepest respect......  YOU'RE NUTS!!!!!!!!    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

wow, that was incredible!!!!  i have caught fish that big from the deck of a boat.  i cannot imagine being seated in a kayak, having to balance the boat, reel, throw a spear, hang on to a gaff, drag that fish up onto the deck, and then paddle back after a 100+ pound tuna just dragged you out to sea. 

send me a pm with your address.  i have something i want to send out to you for your reels.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

You should see Ray's other videos.  I remember watching some of these videos a while back.  My greatest fears are sharks and onos. The teeth... :o
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on June 29, 2013, 10:39:14 PM
rob, i want you to know that i say this with the deepest respect......  YOU'RE NUTS!!!!!!!!    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  alan

May I join Alan and say I agree with him.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cone

Rob welcome. I would also like to say I agree with Alan and Dominick. You are nuts.  ;D I would really worry if Dominick thinks so.  ;) Fishing from a kayak you need to be able to service your own reels. You won't find a better place to learn how.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Zimbass

Welcome from Africa crazy Hawaiian guy  ;D
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Shark Hunter

Welcome!
My Friend! You are in the right place!
Personally, I don't think you are crazy. You are my type of Guy!
Enjoy!
Life is Good!

melkapule

Be safe. Two days ago someone brought in a kayak with a rod and reel still on the back. Two days of search and rescue and still no body. Search called off yesterday. Kayak was found just outside Kawaihae harbor.

Kau Grown

Thank you brothers for the very warm welcome and aloha!

Kau Grown

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 29, 2013, 12:05:21 PM
E komo mai bradah Rob. Glad you joined & mahalo for sharing. Sounds like you are now set. If you have any questions, we are here to help.

Aloha, bryan

Mahalo Bryan! I'm so stoked to have found this forum! I've got so much to learn on reel servicing and repairs, and I have the BEST professionals in the business to learn from. I posted in the Penn international section about a reel I need help with. If anyone has the time to help a rookie out I would appreciate it greatly.

Mahalo, Rob

Kau Grown

Quote from: alantani on June 29, 2013, 10:39:14 PM
rob, i want you to know that i say this with the deepest respect......  YOU'RE NUTS!!!!!!!!    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

wow, that was incredible!!!!  i have caught fish that big from the deck of a boat.  i cannot imagine being seated in a kayak, having to balance the boat, reel, throw a spear, hang on to a gaff, drag that fish up onto the deck, and then paddle back after a 100+ pound tuna just dragged you out to sea. 

send me a pm with your address.  i have something i want to send out to you for your reels.  alan

Hahaha..... Thanks Alan!