shimano tld 25

Started by slowpoke, June 30, 2013, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowpoke

Okay, so I take apart a perfectly good reel with no problems.......stop me if you've heard this one before! :D
Put it back together and the reel cranks in the wrong direction!
Also, it doesn't like to go in and out of free spool. I read the tutorial, but it worked fine prior to the tear-down. The cross-pin is so loose in the shaft it literally falls out if reel is tipped to the side. I think I might have just figured it out :-[
Additionally, can't get enough drag to stop an anchovy!
Your thoughts?
Dave

Dominick

Quote from: slowpoke on June 30, 2013, 11:10:34 PM
Additionally, can't get enough drag to stop an anchovy!
Your thoughts?
Dave
Sorry Dave I don't know anything about that model reel, but when fishing for anchovies it is ok to thumb the reel.  ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Hi Dave,

First off, read this http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=36.0

After you read this, try doing your reel again, and if it still doensn't work, I think we can guide you further.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Quote...but when fishing for anchovies it is ok to thumb the reel.  ;D
:D ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

slowpoke

QuoteSorry Dave I don't know anything about that model reel, but when fishing for anchovies it is ok to thumb the reel.  ;D ;D Dominick
:D

O.k., I'll go through the tutorial again. Obviously I missed something!

akfish

Sounds like there is a lot going on that isn't right. First, if the handle turns backward, the dog is installed incorrectly. You may have just put it in backwards. As for the drag, is there any chance that the fiber washer that goes under the lever was left out? It really needs to be there. Also, make sure that the belleville washers o the left side of the spool are arranged correctly. They should be ()() I believe.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

slowpoke

O.K., I took it back apart and put it back together...and now it functions properly!
The only change I made was having to loc-tite the cross-pin into the shaft, as it would just fall out if you looked at it funny.
A story with a happy ending :)
It's been a productive week for me so far. I've gone through two 113's, two 114's, one tld 25, and I'm almost done with my gt2...just trying to decide whether the occasionally sticking wormdrive needs replacing or not.
Then it's on to either the penn internationals or the avet raptors.....hmmm.
I really appreciate the help and support from your forum. Couldn't/wouldn't have done this without it!
Thank You,
Dave

Bryan Young

Dave, the occationally sticky worm drive is probably a bent or missing tooth in the nylon gear connecting the worm drive. Its a simple fix. . 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

slowpoke

I inspected the gears and the worm drive and couldn't see anything obvious so I played with the u-shaped prong that rides the worm drive. Now it tracks in some very interesting patterns, going back and forth across only half the reel. It will travel all the way across if I give it a little push with my finger (I don't want to get into THAT habit :o!), and will "click" or try to bind in the same spot about two thirds of the way across.

Ron Jones

Dave,

The very best fix for the sticky worm drive on a 320 GTi is to throw it in the trash!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

slowpoke

Quote from: noyb72 on July 04, 2013, 09:03:17 PM
Dave,

The very best fix for the sticky worm drive on a 320 GTi is to throw it in the trash!
Ron
:D
Thanks Ron!

akfish

The "u"-shaped piece is called the pawl. 99% of the time when i see the level wind acting like yours I need to replace both the worm and the pawl,
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

slowpoke

Thank you!
If it were just me fishing with that reel I would probably eliminate the level-wind feature and call it good.
But  some of my guests seem to have a hard time getting the line back on the spool evenly, so I like having that reel available ;)
Dave

Bryan Young

Quote from: akfish on July 04, 2013, 09:39:43 PM
The "u"-shaped piece is called the pawl. 99% of the time when i see the level wind acting like yours I need to replace both the worm and the pawl,
I also agree if it means anything....

slowpoke

Thank you Gentlemen!
I guess I'll be ordering both parts.
Dave