Overhauling Penn 500 Jigmaster

Started by Valk, July 15, 2013, 07:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valk

Hallo all, having seen a couple of the upgrades done to Penn 500 reels i have been motivated to try my hand at "overhauling" my black Jigmaster, also have two red ones, but the black one in the best condition.
I like the narrow Tiburon frames, therefore a narrow spool will be needed, but apart from that i have no idea what other parts will have to be ordered to compleat the project, anyone out there that have done this or can give me a headsup (reël will be fished, light - medium tackle saltwater).
Also can the upgrades be ordered from one supplier.  Thanks ???

Ron Jones

Light to medium tells me that 10 pounds of drag should be fine. To get going I'd recommend you get a stainless sleeve kit from Alan, that will give you a stainless dog also and then 3 new HT100 washers and stainless metal drag washers that you can get from MysticParts.com where I think you can get your spool. Alan can sell you one of several crank arms and handles to chose from. All that with your Tib frame will get you a world class medium duty reel. I'd spool it with 30# Power Pro or whatever braid you want and top it with 100 feet or so of 30 pound mono and go fishing.

Good luck
Ron

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Valk, Ron almost has it right ;D. MysticParts.com has been out of stock with that spool for sometime now. Don't ask me why, I really like them, but this one doesn't make sense to me.
If you're going to fish it light, no Tib kit is required, that goes for the gear sleeve as well. Hunt down a narrow spool, the frame post and stand are still available.
Personally, if I had to upgrade a jigmaster, I would go all the way.
Hey I have a sport car, that doesn't mean I drive in the city doing 200MPH ;D. It's nice knowing you have that additional horse power if needed, you never know what's going to take that bait.
If you're going with the Tib Kit, check with Alan, he might have some. This way you'll get almost everything you need.
If Alan doesn't have the kit check with this seller:
http://stores.ebay.com/id=15350832&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SST&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533
or this one:
http://stores.ebay.com/id=9016304&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SST&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533
Someone here mentioned that he gets a discount, both of these sellers will give anyone a discount, just ask and they'll let you know how to proceed.
Alan and Bryan have everything else you need to make that Jigmaster a mean fishing machine ;D
Good luck!
Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Valk

Thanks for the replies.
Sal, from the photos on the site i see you've done this before  ;). I definitely want to go for the full upgrade. The narrow spool (being out of stock) is a bit of a worry, what specs should i be looking for?   

Keta

Spools come with the kits (P21KHS) and Tib also sells narrow spools, P21S.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Valk on July 15, 2013, 01:48:18 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Sal, from the photos on the site i see you've done this before  ;). I definitely want to go for the full upgrade. The narrow spool (being out of stock) is a bit of a worry, what specs should i be looking for?   

I ment if you're were going with just the narrow spool and no Tib frane, you would Then have a tough time finding one.
The links that I sent you should have the complete kit.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

Hi

Newellnut posted he gets a discount from Greg [chowderpuff.com] if he orders direct from him. Greg has black spools & the frame kit. I bought his only Red Spool for my 501.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Valk

OK, thanks starting to make some headway.
Alan - not sure if this is where to ask but here goes. could you please give me a indication if you have the below items and the prices.

Tib Frame - P21 (I Prever Red)
Tib spool - P21S (Prever Red)
Handle - Not specific, please make recommendation.(Red)
Stainless gear sleeve, washers, drag washers.

Thanks

alantani

honestly, i'd rather see you get a penn 501 from ebay that is in good shape.  the tib frame is not necessary at all.  the bar frame is plenty strong as is. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Valk

Hi Alan, you're right of course, but then what's the fun in that, where's the wow factor.
:-\

Norcal Pescador

For a Penn 501 tank, the tib frame and spool would be the way to go if you really want to spend money.
As commented, Penn 29L-501 spools are almost impossible to find. No matter what spool you go with, the only other parts to change a 500 to 501 are the spacer bars or posts and the stand. As Alan said, if you can find a complete 501L on fleabay or elsewhere, go for it. There are early 501s that have a three-piece spool that I avoid - they tend to warp.

I have a mostly stock 501L except for s/s 5:1 Newell gears, 1+5 drag and a s/s dog. It's loaded with 20-pound mono. My other 501L has a Tiburon frame, 5:1 gears, 1+5 drag, s/s dog and is loaded with 30-pound braid. Both are intended for light work - bottom fishing, bait catching, albacore and other 20-35# fish, and small halibut.

Good luck with it. The 501 is one of my favorite reels.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD