Hawaii Extreme Kayak Fishing Vids

Started by Kau Grown, July 23, 2013, 09:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kau Grown

I went out yesterday and hooked my largest tuna ever...... After a battle that lasted almost an hour I finally get the beast up and realize how big it was and my jaw dropped!!! My biggest so far off my kayak was 114.5 and this tuna made my my 114 pounder look small. So I get it up closer with only about 10 feet of leader left out to stick my spear in it, but it started to swim in circles what felt like 60 mph and almost flipped me a few times! I reach for my spear and have it ready to give it the kill shot, but holding my rod with one hand while a 150 plus pound tuna is doing the circle of death at 60 mph was a little nutz! I did have a chance to spear it for a fraction of a second but held back knowing that if I didn't place a precise shot that the risk of flipping was very high. So I decided to wait for a better shot, all of a sudden the beast stops under my yak and turns his death circles in the other direction and gave a few head shakes and what I was praying for not to happen...... Happened!!!!!! Damn hooked popped out!!!!!!! I almost jumped in after but the current was ripping a little over 3 mph and if I did jump in I would of drifted away from my yak in a flash. I was so crushed watching a world record kayak tuna swim back down to the deep blue slowly.... I was so exhausted from the battle that I couldn't even yell at myself for what just happened! I regrouped and paddled back to shore with my tail between my legs and depressed. I did catch a 38# Wahoo in the morning but totally forgot that I did until I reached shore and unloaded my fish bag and yak. I hope these monster tunas are gonna hang out here for a while so that I can redeem myself....... I'm gonna rest up and go hunting for monster tunas in a few days.

Aloha, Rob
Check out my pro athlete page on FB for more action!
"Rob Wong Yuen - Pro Kayak Angler"
Tours:Extreme808Kayak@gmail.com

Newell Nut

Rob
I have certainly enjoyed multiple viewings of your videos. You are doing a great job and I sent the link to my son and he thinks your crazy. A little risky but not crazy. Keep having yourself a blast and please keep sharing with us.
Dwight

Alto Mare

Sorry to hear that Rob, I'm sure you will redeem yourself ;). Thanks again for sharing your adventures with us, can't wait for your next one.
Good stuff!
Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Your freakin crazy!! Go get a bigger one  ;D ;D maybe you need a bigger yak? This is truly hand to fin combat. Biggest thing I ever got off my yak was a 15# striper. Can't imagine 150#of pissed off tuna. Keep at it you'll get it. Thanks for letting us in on a really cool sport.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Cone

Rob, too bad you lost the big one! I hope you get the chance for redemption. Maybe you should get a leash in case you flip. A record isn't worth your life! I've watched your other video's and you have got it going on! Stay safe brother, Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Kau Grown

Thanks a lot brothers!!! All of your encouragements defiantly help boost my hopes to go after another beast! There is a big storm heading to Hawaii and is probably gone hit late tomorrow and last till Tuesday, I hope I have a few hours tomorrow morning to go monster hunting and redeem myself. I'll report back on the catch report as soon as I can. Big mahalo everyone! You guys are all solid!!! 
Check out my pro athlete page on FB for more action!
"Rob Wong Yuen - Pro Kayak Angler"
Tours:Extreme808Kayak@gmail.com

BMITCH

That's a great idea from cone, a leash maybe to a belt on you. Not in the way but if for some reason your in the water you can't get to far away from your yak. Be safe.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Newell Nut

Kau

You are pretty fearless but wise to let the tuna go. In 1994 Chris Bowie who was a mate on the Trophy Box in a tournament out of Morehead City, NC got jerked over when a 175 blue marlin got tagged and was never found. One mate jumped in after him but all he saw was a dot going away. He was holding the line waiting for the tag and had it wrapped wrong on his hand.
Stay brave and smart.

Dwight

Bill B

Stay safe brother.....great fishing videos
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

redsetta

Another great story Rob - thanks for sharing.
Good luck on the next mission.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Makule

There will always be another opportunity.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

alantani

can we take up a collection and get him an inflatable pfd?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cone

Quote from: alantani on July 29, 2013, 10:57:52 PM
I'll contribute.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on July 29, 2013, 10:57:52 PM
Or a bigger boat :-\
Still, I love what you do Rob.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!