Hawaii Extreme Kayak Fishing Vids

Started by Kau Grown, July 23, 2013, 09:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kau Grown

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 20, 2013, 10:43:33 PM
Another great clip Rob! ;D
Is that your new Trident 15?

Mahalo, Yes it is.... well kinda of new, I had it from march and have been using it hard this year but never had time to edit any vids of my catches off of it yet, I've been trying to catch up on all my old footage. It has done me well so far, not as stable as my other yak but defiantly a lot faster! I did break it in with a few hundred plus pound Ahi's on the first month I started using it, got 3 in a week actually.   
Check out my pro athlete page on FB for more action!
"Rob Wong Yuen - Pro Kayak Angler"
Tours:Extreme808Kayak@gmail.com

Shark Hunter

I couldn't make up my mind on the right yak. I wanted something fast, but stable too. I saw a video of a guy chasing a pod of dolphins on a Trident 13 and he was keeping up with them!
Since mine will mainly be used for yakking big baits out for sharks, I decided that was the one for me.
Take Care Brother! and keep those videos coming! ;)
Life is Good!

Kau Grown

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 21, 2013, 08:29:08 AM
I couldn't make up my mind on the right yak. I wanted something fast, but stable too. I saw a video of a guy chasing a pod of dolphins on a Trident 13 and he was keeping up with them!
Since mine will mainly be used for yakking big baits out for sharks, I decided that was the one for me.
Take Care Brother! and keep those videos coming! ;)

Yep, the Trident's speed is awesome! good choice bro!

Shark Hunter

I am heading south in two weeks to the Florida Panhandle. I set up my Kayak Carrier on my Truck this Holiday weekend. I am ready Bro!

Life is Good!

Dominick

Cool...I like the look even though you won't catch me in one.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Come on Dom! ;)
I bet after a bottle of Zin, and the bite was on, I could talk you into kayaking some baits out.
Especially on a glass ocean with the white sand and clear blue water. You will have to keep that shirt buttoned up with the life jacket on! :D My youngest stepson is accompanying me on this trip. I am sure he will be doing most of the Kayaking. He is the Bear Grylls type. He hiked the Appalachian trail and is an avid climber and kayaker. I will be on the beach keeping the beer cold and tending lines. Wish me Luck my Friend! ;D
Life is Good!

saltydog

Yeh you probably could get him in one but if it was like my last shark trip last month the first time he went out and ran into a 9 foot free swimming Bull  that decided the kayak looked like his girlfriend he would be done for the day.LOL  :o :o :o ;D
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

Come on William! :D
You are kidding? Right? That's why I got the Trident. So I can get out and get back as quick as possible.
I have heard stories of Sharks bumping the Yak. Especially if you have a big ray hanging of the back.
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 05, 2013, 02:09:21 PM
Come on William! :D
You are kidding? Right? That's why I got the Trident. So I can get out and get back as quick as possible.
I have heard stories of Sharks bumping the Yak. Especially if you have a big ray hanging of the back.

Good luck Shark Hunter, but Salty is right.  Every month or so someone posts a picture with teeth marks in the bottom of the kayak.  Sharks go for kayaks like kids go for popsicles on a hot day.  Last year a newly retired couple took a morning kayak run out in the sea of Cortez and were never seen again.  I don't mind risk taking but turning over in a kayak is too scary for me.  Dominick the big chicken.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

saltydog

g, had an 8' bull follow me for two hundred yards even after leaving the bait behind. But it is the only way I would put out a bait today, when I was young and dumb I used to swim baits out and so did a lot of other guys. Tells ya just how little they really want a person, most of the time. ;)
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Kau Grown

SWEEEET ride shark hunter!!! both yak and truck!! ;) I honestly can say that sharks are more curious of what you are than actually looking at you as a meal or breeding partner! lol, but I did have a few close encounters myself, mostly from my mistakes tho! Reeling up a bait that a 14 foot tiger is going after is really not a great idea! It'll only wanna take it off your lap once you reeled it in! Sharks are always around and always gonna wanna check you out if your out alone with no other boats or yaks, I normally can hear them or see them before they get close. I keep my eye on them and study their behavior while they get close, if they are just floating about slowly and not swimming fast and moving side to side then most of the time they are just passing by and wanna check you out on their way pass. I would normally just let them do their thing and swim on by, most of the time they won't even touch my baits and keep going. But if its swimming erotically and fast, with quick head movement from side to side and keeps on surfacing and diving then it's a lot different!! Those guys are showing an aggressive behavior and will most likely be aggressive to you! You have 2 choices... paddle in as fast as you can... which in my opinion is a waste of time unless you can paddle faster than a shark or turn your yak straight to him and paddle as fast as you can straight for him and chase him away! I'm not recommending anyone to do this because we have different sharks here in Hawaii that act and respond different to sharks in the mainland but it works for me! About 90 percent of the time it does chase them away and they wont come back to bother me again. However I have had a couple of tigers that was very stubborn and resulting in me breaking a paddle on its head and having to spear it with my spear to have it swim off. I carry my "kage" or spear mainly for dispatching fish at leader but it's also there to defend myself against those stubborn tigers that won't leave me alone! I'm not giving it a lethal blow or spearing it to kill it, I hit him hard enough to make him not wanna come near me again. I feel like if you run and paddle away from a shark, they feel like its a game and will follow you and harass you until you feed them or until they get tired or bored. I NEVER toss out bait or chum in the water to avoid a shark encounter so I can paddle away from it, I feel like you will be training sharks that everytime they see a yak they will think of food. I do see tons of sharks and deal with them a lot so I have a lot of experience with the types of sharks we have here which is mostly tigers. I do wanna make it clear tho that my way of dealing with them will probably not work so good with whites and bulls and I pray that I really don't see those bad boys here cause I might have to figure out another way to deal with them instead of kissing my butt goodbye!

Please be safe and watch out for one another!

aloha, rob

Shark Hunter

Thanks for the compliments Rob! That means a lot coming from you. ;)
Hopefully I won't have any dealings with sharks in the yak. I guess I should make me a kage just in case.
A Mossberg Mariner should do the trick! ;D
Life is Good!