Hawaii Extreme Kayak Fishing Vids

Started by Kau Grown, July 23, 2013, 09:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kau Grown

Aloha everyone! I'm not sure if I am posting in the correct thread and please do let me know if I am so I can post in the correct section. I wanted to share some of my fishing adventures that I go on here in Hawaii, I am a learning how to service and repair my reels and thanks to alan and all the members of this awesome forum for helping me gain information and the knowledge to do so! Because I am fishing off of my kayak, my reels take a beating from saltwater being so close to the water and occasionally getting drenched with saltwater time to time, so learning how to service my own reels is a big help on my wallet. I have tons of old kayak fishing vids on youtube that helped me land a few sponsors like Penn and Ocean Kayak so I apologize for the advertising and commercials in my new vids. I am not the best at editing videos and am also learning how to edit them better and  would love feedback on what I should do or shouldn't do on any future vids to help improve them. Big Mahalo in advance for any tips and help!

aloha. Rob

I have tons and tons of footage I need to work on and  finally had some time to work on footage of a fishing trip from early this year hooking and landing monster Ono's "wahoo's" from my yak on the Big Island of Hawaii. I'm gonna try and bang out a bunch more vids to catch up on recent video footage! I hope you enjoy it and Mahalo for watching!

Check out my pro athlete page on FB for more action!
"Rob Wong Yuen - Pro Kayak Angler"
Tours:Extreme808Kayak@gmail.com

HOLEINTHEWATER

REMEMBER THE MOVIE, WITH SPENCER TRACY ?THE OLD MAN AND SEA. LOOKS LIKE A LOT OF FUN.

Bryan Young

That is SICK Rob. I really want to try, but catching ono (wahoo) or kaku (baracuda) with their teeth, marlin or sail fish, and sharks really freak me out being so close to them on the water.

Mahalo. I love your videos.

Buy the way, I lost your post on the clicker problems you and you buddy's been having. Got it solved?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

FREAKING AWESOME. Do you buddy up when you go out there. Are you paddleing from shore? Looks way cool.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Kau Grown

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 23, 2013, 01:50:56 PM
That is SICK Rob. I really want to try, but catching ono (wahoo) or kaku (baracuda) with their teeth, marlin or sail fish, and sharks really freak me out being so close to them on the water.

Mahalo. I love your videos.

Buy the way, I lost your post on the clicker problems you and you buddy's been having. Got it solved?

Thanks B!!! Hit me up if you get out here one day bro! I'll love to take you out, I can promise you that it'll be safe and you'll come back in one piece but I can't promise you that your arms and back won't be hurting from pulling up some nice pelagics! lol

No I haven't figured out the clicker on  the Penn 12vs yet...... It seems like when the drag is in freespool or barely engaged, the clicker works a little. But after engaging the drag up tighter it completely turns off....... Is it cause the spool gets pushed over to the left side plate and the clicker button cant reach the spool? It also has the adjustable clicker knob and I have it tightened all the way down so that I can have somewhat of a clicker in freespool to free line live bait. I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to be or not. Thanks in advance for any help bro.

Kau Grown

Quote from: BMITCH on July 23, 2013, 02:03:39 PM
FREAKING AWESOME. Do you buddy up when you go out there. Are you paddleing from shore? Looks way cool.
Bob

Thank You!!! I do have a partner most of the time I go out, but sometimes he can't get out and I go out alone. I do paddle from shore and back to shore unassisted by any power boat. I am entered in a year long tourney that prevents me to get any assistance from other kayakers and power boats so that I don't get DQ. Mahalo for watching, tight lines and safe fishing! aloha

Alto Mare

Nice video Rob, I would last about a minute and go down like a sack op potatoes ;D.
Keep them coming though, I really enjoyed it...but be safe.
I still say you're nuts ;D.
BTW, can you tell me some more about that harpoon? did you purchase it or do you make your own?
Thanks, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

I really enjoyed the video. If I weren't so old and worn out, I'd love to give it a try.  ;)  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

redsetta

QuoteFREAKING AWESOME.
x2! That's amazing Rob - well done and thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Kau Grown

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 23, 2013, 10:38:25 PM
Nice video Rob, I would last about a minute and go down like a sack op potatoes ;D.
Keep them coming though, I really enjoyed it...but be safe.
I still say you're nuts ;D.
BTW, can you tell me some more about that harpoon? did you purchase it or do you make your own?
Thanks, Sal

Thanks Sal, I made it at home with a piece of wood that was laying around and some 3/8" threaded rod. Drilled a hole on the bottom of rod and expoxyed the rod in. Really not that hard to make. I use it to dispatch or stun a fish on the first blow, then back it up with my gaff that is also homemade. It's a lot easier and safer to gaff a fish that's not moving and thrashing next to my yak, if I miss a gaff shot its possible to sink my gaff in the side of my yak and that will totaly suck. Haha

Bryan Young

Rob, is that harpoon barbed or just like an ice pick?  Seems to have some holding power.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Very cool Rob, thanks for the info.
Hawaii is my honeymoon spot, maybe one day you could take me out on that kayak....NOT! ;D
Be safe out there, and thanks for keeping us entertained.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Rob, I forgot to mention that mine is also made with some threaded rods.
This one is a little different, it was made by my buddy Bob ( Cone).
That man also has some talent, I'm always amazed on his work.

Sal

Kau Grown

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 25, 2013, 08:40:49 AM
Rob, is that harpoon barbed or just like an ice pick?  Seems to have some holding power.

It's just threaded, I try to normally hit a fish in it's head to instantly dispatch them quickly without a struggle. Sometimes when I hit them hard in the head I can barely pull it back out and have to actually unscrew my spear back out of it's skull. If I miss and hit them in the body or belly area it's almost guaranteed to pull out from it thrashing.

Kau Grown

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 25, 2013, 11:37:13 PM
Rob, I forgot to mention that mine is also made with some threaded rods.
This one is a little different, it was made by my buddy Bob ( Cone).
That man also has some talent, I'm always amazed on his work.

Sal

Damn that looks crazy! I would hate to get on the bad end of that bad boy!