Shimano Trinidad 30A casting ....

Started by awesum, July 26, 2013, 01:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awesum

I retired my old Torium 30 in favor of a new Trinidad 30A. I was getting much better casting distance throwing topwaters with the Torium than I get with the Trinidad 30A. Someone suggested I come here to read about oiling the bearings for better performance but I have not been able to find the thread.

Can someone help?

Cone

Alan goes through a 30 here. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=45.0  He removes the inside shields cleans and lubes the bearings. I think he uses the reelx but he now uses the TSI301 instead.    Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

jonathan.han

The Trinidad has centrifugal brakes on the spool that can be removed. The Torium does not have these. In general, I remove all the brakes from all the reels I work on. If you need braking (not for you per say, but people who are reading this and have yet to get a master's in thumb control), use the spool tension adjustment knob.
raw instinct

jonathan.han

They are basically the same reel. Shimano just cut some corners in manufacturing for the Torium. I wouldn't even buy a Trini except that it's pretty. For pure function after servicing them, I'd go with a Torium over a Trini. Functionally, you're gaining nothing. Aesthetically speaking, we're talking gold anodization, machined frame and sideplates, a set plate, and that's about it.
raw instinct

CapeFish

The new trini A is a fair amount different than the old model. I think the bearings are sealed and greased so if you open them up and oil them you will definitely get a longer cast in. The spool is lighter and it spins very well. Unfortunately to get to the spool bearings you need to open the entire darn thing up

Fish-aholic

As CapeFish has correctly pointed out, the trinidad "A" range are a completly different reel compared to the earlier gold anodised range. The newer "A" range now have a one piece machined alloy frame, designed in such a way you will first need to remove the entire drive train. Once removed, you can unscrew the base plate from the frame and your now able to access the spool to service the two spool bearings. Unfortunately there's no short cuts to service the spool bearings.  :-\

Here's a short video that might be of use to you, awesum:          

awesum

Wow .... thanks for all the replies.

I'll watch the video and give the bearings a shot.

Joker

Quote from: jonathan.han on July 26, 2013, 06:37:00 AM
The Trinidad has centrifugal brakes on the spool that can be removed. The Torium does not have these. In general, I remove all the brakes from all the reels I work on. If you need braking (not for you per say, but people who are reading this and have yet to get a master's in thumb control), use the spool tension adjustment knob.

The "gold" Trini had the centrifugal brake blocks. The new Trini30A has none.

I had one for a short while and that spool can spin :)

As mentioned above, it is a mission to get to the spool bearings.
I LOVE
it when
MY WIFE
lets me go fishing

awesum

Hey guys I really appreciate your replies and the video was very helpful. I should be able to oil these bearing just fine but have encountered something I have never encountered before.

This is a nearly new ... used once ... Trinidad 30a that'a never been opened and there are a couple of screws on the side plate I can't budge. I don't want to ruin them so any suggestions or tip for removing stubborn screws would be greatly appreciated.

:-[

REK

Quote from: awesum on July 27, 2013, 12:34:37 PM
Hey guys I really appreciate your replies and the video was very helpful. I should be able to oil these bearing just fine but have encountered something I have never encountered before.

This is a nearly new ... used once ... Trinidad 30a that'a never been opened and there are a couple of screws on the side plate I can't budge. I don't want to ruin them so any suggestions or tip for removing stubborn screws would be greatly appreciated.

:-[

Use a proper size flathead screwdriver instead of a phillip's head screwdriver.

Yes, the "A" is different than the gold Trinidads. The "A"s, you have to do a complete teardown to remove the spool to get to the spool bearings. And also clean and oil the added(from the gold) pinion bearing. This adds to best freespool/casting. Easy teardown, easy maintenance. Very nice reel.

awesum

Thanks .... I figured that out about the slot screwdriver versus the phillips. I was getting nowhere.

In fact I had to take a good screwdriver to the bench grinder to make it work.