Your Opinion and Why!

Started by Cortez_Conversions, July 27, 2013, 01:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

I'm thinking of a new frame and I'm torn between a one piece frame, or having a screw on base?
Pros and cons?
Thanks!!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Alto Mare

Tom, I vote for the one piece.
As you already know, it is a lot more work involved, but in my opinion, the one piece is much stronger an less prone to corrosion.
May I ask what size reel?
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cortez_Conversions

Sal,
I haven't even decided what size reel yet. Just taking a pulse to see what people think.
My biggest gripe with a one piece frame is that the base always gets torn up or corroded or "customized"
to fit....
maybe I have too critical of an eye?
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Alto Mare

Yes Tom, I see how that would be a problem with corrosion if grinding the anodized part to make them fit.
I've seen my share of corrosion on the screw on base. It would probably be ok with routine maintenance....like everything else.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

I would love a one piece deck hand special frame. Especially for a 2/0 reel.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

I think the one piece frame would be the better option but it would also depend on reel size.I like Sal see lots of corrosion on the screw on bases and the way most people take care of there reels the solid frame is probably the best.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Makule

One piece frame gets my vote.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

I like a solid frame and foot myself, but is one is going to do custom fit with the foot, screw on is better since it can be replaced.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

day0ne

Solid one piece frames are nice until you drop the reel and break the foot off. I've seen it done more than once. A separate reel foot also allows you to have different feet to fit different reel seats or deckhand rods, like Avet and several other reel manufacturers do. Just do the maintenance!
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Ron Jones

Come to think of it, Bryan has a point.

Cortez_Conversions has made a baby squidder into a Tuna reel. A bolt on seat would mean that an intermediate reel could fit a small seated inshore rod or a Tuna Stick.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

redsetta

QuoteOne piece frame gets my vote.
x2
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Joel.B

I like replaceable parts myself

Can I come watch you work? I'll be very quiet, can bring snacks.....am very good at sweeping

Newell Nut

The only Newell that I fish without a one piece frame is the 600 series because Tiburon does not make one that size. One piece frames are my favorite and very solid.

alantani

screwed on reel foot.  it would involve so much less material.  to make the connection stronger, the connection can be dovetailed. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

erikpowell

Quote from: day0ne on July 27, 2013, 07:10:54 AM
Solid one piece frames are nice until you drop the reel and break the foot off. I've seen it done more than once. A separate reel foot also allows you to have different feet to fit different reel seats or deckhand rods, like Avet and several other reel manufacturers do. Just do the maintenance!

x2
also my 2 cents... i just had to buy an entire 1 piece Tiagra50 frame just to replace 1 broken foot on the stand... EXPENSIVE!   :o