Daiwa 47SH Sealine: Horrible Crank Handle!!

Started by woodeye, August 01, 2013, 08:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodeye

I'm new to this post also. Have heard nothing but good stuff, tho and I'm glad to have finally signed up. I found an old Sealine 47SH level wind in great shape on eBay. I got it for a friend who is a "sometime" fisherman(At least, today.) I hung it on a Calstar Westcoast Series 196 7-C and gave to him. All Good. I have been setting him up when trolling salmon, as he is recently back after beucoup years out of it. Its a decent set-up, but the crank handle is HORRIBLE and the itty bitty knob is a complete PIT As You Were! What Handles work on this reel and where can I locate one? I get the impression Penn and Daiwa handles are interchangeable on these older reels. Is that even Possible?! Any personal favorites in a 'power' type handle with a large knob?
Also, the drags are just OK. I have just recently begun to work on my own reels again and I need recommendations for the really good drags for this Daiwa SEALINE 47SH reel, and where to get them. I've heard of SMOOTHDRAG Brand, what? CARBONTEX, or some such? Drag grease? Brand and whereabouts? Any help would be welcome. Cheap shots are OK, if accompanied by Wisdom and/or Experience.    Thanks, Woodeye.

alantani

lots of options.  check smoothdrag.com and also here on the for sale section. a carbontex drag upgrade is essential. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

woodeye

Thanks Alan. Handles? Whoops, in the sale section?

alantani

daiwa makes a power handle with a slightly larger grip and a longer counterbalanced arm.  i drill out the grip and bolt on one of my 3/0 grips.  they work great.  smoothdrag.com has carbontex drag sets for these reels.  they work great.  order up some cal's grease and some reel x while you're at it! 

woodeye

Would you do that drill-out, 3/0 mod? Or sell me the knob if "Even A Caveman Can Do It"?! Get The Power Handle direct from Daiwa?

alantani

i've got one that is already drilled out.  that's the easy part.  what about the drag upgrade?  can you do that?

Bryan Young

Drags, that's next on the list for Daiwa reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

First you need the Carbontex drag upgrade....
You will be a Reel Tech before ya know it!!!
Welcome to the dark side...  LOL  :)

While at Smoothdrags, might as well get the power handle set (Blank & Handle).
Check that she has one that fits your reel???!!!!

Dawn has it all, Cals drag grease, handles, Carbontex, oils etc etc.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

woodeye

I will contact Carbontex first. I need drags for the Daiwa 47H, a daiwa Sealine 50, a Penn 140 Squider, and probably, a Penn 2/0. I need handles for the 47H, Penn Senator 2/0, and Sealine 50. I need to go thru my old Newell P 229F, which will get a Carbontex upgrade, and I have two AVET SX's that are less than a year old that have hassles. I loved 'em from minute one, but have really become dissatisfied with slippery drags that won't tighten, then suddenly act 'locked down'. Will a Carbontex swap help that?! Also, What Is With AVETS Clickers?!? Brand new, out the box, they barely clicked. Now, ten months later, a very slight vibe in the crank tells you you have left them on!! Is there a repair for that?

alantani

woodeye

I edited out that "paste in", sorry. Any and all advice will be appreciated.

alantani

the mantra is the same.  first, pull the reel apart and spread some of the grease around the inside of the reel using an old toothbrush.  then replace the drag washers with carbontex from smoothdrag.com.  decide what you want to do with the bearings.  i would pack the drive shaft bearing with grease and open, clean and lube the spool bearings with grease.  then last, i would look at handle options.  i have a $27 3/0 grip that bolts onto a $17 daiwa power handle arm that i can send out to you.  shipping would be $3.  if that might work for you, send me a pm with your address and i can mail it out.  alan

jonathan.han

Quote from: woodeye on August 06, 2013, 09:08:46 PMAlso, What Is With AVETS Clickers?!? Brand new, out the box, they barely clicked. Now, ten months later, a very slight vibe in the crank tells you you have left them on!! Is there a repair for that?

I've been tightening up the clicker springs, changing out the "clicker housing" which is a plastic piece that wears and prevent the clicker from seating deep enough into the clicker ratchet, and also make sure to store the reel away with the clicker engaged. Leaving the clicker disengaged will stretch out the springs and make for a "softer" heard click.

Added:
Alan's updated 3/0 grips are pretty. He has refined this design from the previous version. The sizing is perfect. The handles are slowly winning me over in certain applications. In short, get those. Anodized aluminum handles are blingy, but I'd rather fish seriously than look gawdy. Plus, these don't corrode or get hot in the sun. Lathed Delrin handle with stainless.
raw instinct

saltydog

Those 3/0 grips are great and will be getting several in the future.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

woodeye

OK....:
     Alan, I need one of your Daiwa modified handles@ $27 + $17 +$3 = $47, right? How do I pay? Will send PM. Were you saying I should lightly coat ALL surfaces in reel gearbox with toothbrushed grease, and what kind of grease would that be? Would you also recommend I change out the two AVET SX's Drags with Carbontex? They are less than a year old and supposedly have carbon fiber drags. However, I dipped one in the ocean a couple times to get a ton of salmon blood off and it has never been the same. It's a bit "give and go" jerky, and doesn't keep the same setting well. Also, I read the thread on AVET's greased/ungreased drag study and you-all's high praise of AVET, but I'm still not clear on your consensus re: wet or dry drags. I think you're suggesting greased, but......?
     Jonathan.han, do you do the clicker housing change-outs and clicker spring tightening, or are you suggesting that that is something I can do?
     To all: Thanks A Million for all the feedback and help and humor!! This site is turning out to be quite a pleasure for me.      Woodeye