CB Radio recommendation

Started by mrbrklyn, August 08, 2013, 11:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

I live about 1/2 of a mile from the harbor and I was thinking of getting a CD Radio to listen in and talk to pilots fishing in the harbor.  but I know nothing about CD Radios.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm in a ground floor apartment.

Bucktail

Get a VHF, not a CB.  A handheld would be the cheapest option.
Just a jig-a-lo

Dominick

Brooklyn:  they don't broadcast on Citizen Band (CB).  You need a marine radio.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

In the Navy, we use Icom hand helds pretty much exclusivly. They work well and are durable. If you live 1/2 mile from shore in a developed area (I don't know a thing about Brooklyn except I never want to drive their again,) then I strongly recomend an external antenna mounted on a roof top or suction cupped to a window if you are in an apartment. The increased reception range is dramatic. We had a ship to shore installed in the motor home we used at Oceanside after we got rid of the big boat, I used to listen to it for hours while watching the rods from the front seat.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Frequency and rules.  CB is a toy, VHF is a tool/safety item.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_VHF_radio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CB_radio
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bucktail

Just a jig-a-lo

SoCalAngler

Down in Baja almost everyone has a base station with antena for their VHF at home, another VHF in the boat and a hand held as backup for the boat and taken when using the ATV's. IMO hand helds are nice but should be used as a backup or in vehicles or places where you cant mount a raido.

Bucktail

If you're really into it and have the money to spend, I agree a base station would be nice.  But if you just want to hang out by the dock and listen to the boat chatter a handheld would be a perfect, very inexpensive, choice.
Just a jig-a-lo

Ron Jones

I don't know, Lee. My family has a lot of truck drivers and they certainatly wouldn't consider a CB a toy. Especially if the FCC is looked at as a grey area!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

For most non professional drivers a CB is a toy, I would think your truck driving family members would agree.  VHF has a lot more rules but I miss the days when you had to be licensed to use it, hearing CB slang over the VHF makes me want to puke. Last week we had some anus keying the mike over his tape payer and illegally transmitting music on the VHF for 15 minutes.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I agree that VHF is not as friendly a place as it used to be. But believe me, it is no where near as bad as in other parts of the world. The stuff that goes out around Bahrain is about the worst. Their is actually a Philipino in that part of the world with a HUGE base station that will stomp all over 16 with swear words just because. It can make piloting tough.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

The USCG frowns on that and WILL track down someone doing so and make sure they don't do it again.  Several "CB talkers" were stepping on other conversations last week too.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

The really stupid thing is that the majority of driver's, the one's the CB talkers believe they are emulating, don't talk like that on the CB! Enough do that a truck stop occasionally sounds like Smokie and the Bandit returns, but the vast majority use good old English.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on August 10, 2013, 05:26:00 AM
....but the vast majority use good old English.

10-4 good buddy. ;D

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

No one ever included Lee in the vast majority. :D :D

Ron
Ronald Jones
"