shark fishing 113h

Started by garking84, August 08, 2013, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garking84

113h or ssv 10500 ??? All my fishing has been fresh water but iv been wanting to do saltwater. So I have some questions. Biggest fish IV caught is  a 6 foot alligator gar on battle 8000. So does a gar fight like a shark or not even close? Also what's a good reel for sharks? I have a 113h loaded with 100 lb. Power pro braid,Tiburon frame,aluminum spool,t-bar handle,5 stack washers,ss yoke,ss dog,ss gear sleeve,ss 4:1 gears on a bluewater carnage rod. But im somewhat nervous taking it out for sharks, cuz I went to a local tackle shop for some gear and the owner of shop told me that id be spooled in a heartbeat that 113h wouldn't hold up. That all the upgrades that I did that reel is a 15lb. Max drag, and no matter what I did to it that's all it would give me. So iv been thinking on getting a ssv 10500 I believe the max drag is 40lb. Is that true? Sorry for all the questions

saltydog

An alligator gar is not even close to a big shark fight of the same size. The 113h is a fine shark reel but it all depends on where and how you fish,and what you go for.If you are on a beach you may need a topshot of mono to keep from having cutoffs from sand and shell but a 113h is plenty of reel for sharks into the 8' range if you don't drop your bait too far from shore.Remember the guy at your local tackle shop is there to sell you tackle!
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

garking84

I'll be fishing from beach and sometimes on boat.i feel much better knowing that a 113h can handle sharks around 8', I'll probably be going after 5' sharks to begin with. Thanks for the info

Makule

Agree, you will probably do fine with smaller size sharks and, depending on the species (some are much more aggressive than others).  The problem is that one cannot entirely control what size shark takes the bait.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Shark Hunter

I won't disagree with you saltydog, but its going to take a while to get in a 6 footer on a 113h. I think it would be fine for Blacktips and spinners, but for the Tigers, Hammers and Bulls, I think you will be out gunned. I fish from the beach and Kayak my baits out. Its a little tougher than fishing offshore.
I'm not trying to sound snobbish, but for Sharks I think the minimum is a 114h, unless you have a Tank.
My main two rods for Sharks from the Beach are a 12/0 and a 14/0 with 130 lb mono and 130 lb rated rods. A Leader with a 30' sliding trace of 700 lb test and 10 ft of 480 lb cable crimped to a 20/0 circle hook. I fish smaller baits on a 114H and 9/0 with smaller hooks. 12/0 size.
I know this sounds like overkill, but I feel a lot better with this monster setup when a big Bull or Tiger comes knockin'. ;D
I'm headed to the coast next month. Wish me luck. Hopefully I'll have some nice pictures to post up.  ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Garking, you described a tank with the upgrades to your reel.  Search for the tank on this site for more information.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Garking, I'd say the LTS guy was telling you a fish story. I've caught 4-6 foot blue sharks on Mitchel 300s and one of the biggest sharks I've ever seen boated was a ~14 ft Thresher caught on a bone stock 113H. THeir is a LOT of big gear used to compensate for poor technique, but a good fisherman can always get it done.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

CapeFish

we catch big sharks and skates  from the shore casting not paddling baits out out using 20kg line with braid backing . With this tackle you can get sharks in the 100 to 200 plus kg range.  You need 600m and upwards of line. Guys that go really heavy use 35kg line on lever drag reels with over 1000m of line that is 200m of mono or less and the rest of the reel filled with braid. This is not for casting though and here you need a kite or a big swimbait or paddle it out. Not sure what a 113 costs but if you are going to paddle out baits is it not easier to pick up a big 2nd hand lever drag reel?

doradoben

garking, your reel should produce more than 15 lbs. of drag. Have you checked the drag on your reel with a scale? If it only produces 15 lbs. there is something wrong. If you read some of the other threads in this section about 113h upgrades, you'll see that they can make plenty of drag. 

Shark Hunter

Yes,
With those upgrades, you should be able to pull 25lb of drag easily. Thats a lot!
I prefer the larger reels for more mono capacity. braid cuts pretty easily when it rubs on the sandbars with shells. The mono is more abrasion resistant. If it weren't for the braid cutting so easily, I would be content to fish with a 113h and 114h and run 80 and 100lb power pro.
With the new black pearl gears and stainless sleeve, These reels are way more powerful than the stock version. :o
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Doradoben is right, you should be getting a little more than 15lbs. with that reel, I'll say close to 20lbs. But no way near what we've been pushing them at with a few upgrades...ok, maybe a lot of upgrades ;D.
I'm getting 20lbs. with a stock Penn 4/0 and 30lbs with the upgrades.
Some guys here have been fishing the upgraded 4/0's hard, with good results, but they're not getting 30#'s.
Pescachaser might be the only member at the moment holding a 4/0 that can dish out 30lbs. of drag, we will need to wait and see how he makes out, and I don't mean the other kind of making out, he's way past that stage. ;D
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 08, 2013, 08:19:18 PM
we will need to wait and see how he makes out, and I don't mean the other kind of making out, he's way past that stage. ;D
Sal

Ahem! Wanna bet?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

garking84

Doradoben, I haven't had a chance to check the drag on my reel but I will later on today. It was the owner of the shop who said that a 113h would only produce 15 lbs. Of max drag no matter what kind of upgrades you would do to it. That's when I got to an argument with him and I said that with all the upgrades I did my 113h should be around 20. He insisted in 15. Maybe he was an Abu Garcia guy and didn't like Penn or just wanted to sell me the ssv10500 How saltydog said. altomare, how do you get 30 that be nice to have? IV upgraded everything except the stock maroon sideplates, what's the difference by having the accurate sideplates?

Keta

Quote from: garking84 on August 08, 2013, 08:56:56 PM
That's when I got to an argument with him and I said that with all the upgrades I did my 113h should be around 20.

He did not know what he was talking about, mine will do more but I'm fishing it for halibut using 50lb topshots and 20lbs of drag.  Where are you at?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

saltydog

Well if you want to hold up 15+ pounds of rod go ahead but I have rediscovered the use of smaller stronger better gear. A 113h tanked out will give any Tiger, Hammer, or Bull a run for his money. My 113h has a full size aluminum frame, ss gears ,  ss gear sleave , wire line spool, ss double dogs, ss yoke, and a 7+1 drag stack with thinned washers, she holds 1000 yards of 80# spectra and a short 50 yard 80# topshot .She also gets 32# 0f drag when almost locked down a puts out a steady 25# as long as I can take it. Now I used to use those monster reels for those 500+ yard drops but I found I catch just as many with short 100 yarders  as I did with the longer ones but each to his own.My biggest shark on my 113H is  10' Hammer and a 9' Bull. I know alot of guys who use stock 4/0 and still land 10+ footers , but I will admit we've been doin this for 35+ years too. Now when I was younger I had 16/0,14/0, 12/0 and a lot of 10/ and 9/0 but hey I'm 30+ years older now and have seen what finesse and a little knowledge can do. You don't have to bring a cannon to a gunfight you just have to have better aim. ;D
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur