Today's fishing outside Malmö, Sweden

Started by Mandelstam, August 09, 2013, 05:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: bluefish69 on August 10, 2013, 03:29:26 AM
Al right here comes a killer---- I don't eat Cod --- I was forced to eat Cod as a child & still can't get it in my mouth   BUT I like the Row

Par boil in water with a little vinergar till solid let cool a little slice flour & fry in Butter till lightly golden.
Mike, from reading your previous posts, I'm starting to thing you're a picky eater ::)
My wife make two different meals at times and my son still eats pizza for dinner, it drives me crazy.

Quote from: Mandelstam on August 10, 2013, 09:04:51 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on August 09, 2013, 09:01:18 PM
I love the older pictures Karl, thanks for posting.
You mentioned that it was a nice day, on one of your shots that water didn't look that calm :-\ was it?

It rolled a bit but nothing too serious. The worst is when you get ashore after a day on the sea. That is the time I can get seasick, standing in the kitchen filleting cod and your brain still thinks it's out at sea. :)
I know the feeling.
btw Karl, have you ever heard of baccala'? I believe salted Cod originated there.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mandelstam

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 10, 2013, 09:26:40 AM
I know the feeling.
btw Karl, have you ever heard of baccala'? I believe salted Cod originated there.

I had to google it but now I know what you mean. It's called klippfisk (clip fish) as it was dried in the sun on cliffs by the ocean. For christmas we eat a lot of lutfisk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk) which basically is dried and salted cod which then is put in lye (!) and cold water and finally boiled. It's gross. I don't eat it myself but many people here do, it's one of the must have dishes for christmas along with pickled herring and ham, which I love by the way. :)
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

saltydog

I love cod but I'm a fan of golden brown with chips or grilled with some veggies and a cold one.Great catch I sure bet that one is gonna be good.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

bluefish69

I don't think i am a picky eater but when your told to sit at the table till you eat it. That is the problem. You have to see me with Turnups. I turn bright white as the blood drains from my face. That's when my stomach starts to act up.

I can cook with Cod in any form. I make Baccala at Christmas for our Son. I've cooked it on the boat when passengers have brought it. If I know in advance I make them Cocktail Sauce or Tarter Sauce/ Lemon on the Side
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Oh man Cod's the best.  Better than Snapper and Snook.  Cod cheeks, oh to die for.  Salt Cod with fried potatoes, hard tack, onions and bits of salt pork!  New Foundland breakfast there, always served with a glass of Rum.

bluefish69

The Rum sounds really good. I will eat everything except the Cod.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Quote from: Mandelstam on August 10, 2013, 09:42:20 AM
I know the feeling.

I had to google it but now I know what you mean. It's called klippfisk (clip fish) as it was dried in the sun on cliffs by the ocean. For christmas we eat a lot of lutfisk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk) which basically is dried and salted cod which then is put in lye (!) and cold water and finally boiled. It's gross. I don't eat it myself but many people here do, it's one of the must have dishes for christmas along with pickled herring and ham, which I love by the way. :)

Dried, Salted, Lied and Boiled fish? :P Do you put a sign on the bowl to differentiate it from mashed potatoes? Sorry, I'd have an issue sitting at a table where that was served. Your cod look fantastic, please don't do that to them.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on August 11, 2013, 09:51:56 PM
Quote from: Mandelstam on August 10, 2013, 09:42:20 AM
I know the feeling.

.Dried, Salted, Lied and Boiled fish? :P Do you put a sign on the bowl to differentiate it from mashed potatoes? Sorry, I'd have an issue sitting at a table where that was served. Your cod look fantastic, please don't do that to them.
Ron
Baked Ron, not boiled. I bet you would eat mine ;) Google Baccala" there are many ways of cooking it, we even make meatballs with it.
In the Italian cuisine baccala' is a delicacy, it is very expensive

Ron Jones

I am familiar with Baccala Sal, although I've never tried it. I was referring to the description of lutfisk. Does not sound appetizing at all.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Mandelstam

Quote from: noyb72 on August 11, 2013, 09:51:56 PM
Dried, Salted, Lied and Boiled fish? :P Do you put a sign on the bowl to differentiate it from mashed potatoes? Sorry, I'd have an issue sitting at a table where that was served. Your cod look fantastic, please don't do that to them.
Ron

I wouldn't do that to any cod, you can be sure of that! :) But if you think lutfisk sounds gross you should try surströmming. It's a Swedish delicacy. You take herring, let it ferment until it forms a lot of wonderfully smelly acids such as butyric acid for instance. You then put them in tin cans and let them ferment a little more. The can should bulge a little when it's finished and when you open it up it should make a nice little phoof and spray all those nice smells in your face. You then put it on some flat bread with potatoes and enjoy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming
"When opened, the contents release a strong and sometimes overwhelming odour; the dish is ordinarily eaten outdoors. According to a Japanese study, a newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world, even more so than similarly fermented fish dishes such as the Korean Hongeohoe or Japanese Kusaya."

:)
/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

saltydog

I will take my fish fried , baked , broiled to perfection. I still haven't got why people take a perfectly good fish and spoil it to eat it, oh well that's me just thinking.I used to get my herring fresh right out of the ocean and cook them many ways, but fermenting them , um that just doesn't sound to appetizing the can poofing and such. :o
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Ron Jones

Brother,
The Navy has taken me all over this world, and I have seen people eat weird stuff, but you people take the cake!

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Mandelstam

Quote from: noyb72 on August 12, 2013, 06:35:01 AM
Brother,
The Navy has taken me all over this world, and I have seen people eat weird stuff, but you people take the cake!

Ron

;D

Once, many years ago, I was in the same room when someone opened a can of surströmming. That was enough for me. I even have a photo that was taken at that moment. Even the photo looks hazy and blurry, so you understand that it's serious stuff. Fortunately they only eat the stuff in northern Sweden so I don't have to be exposed to it.