Today's fishing outside Malmö, Sweden

Started by Mandelstam, August 09, 2013, 05:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

Just thought I'd make a quick report on todays fishing since I really appreciate reading your reports from all over the world.

Today I went out with a small party boat called Spinnaren. It has room for 10 people but it's perfect when we are around 7-8 people fishing.

This time of year (summer) in my parts of Sweden (https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zuZ1_t6AE6ms.kpzD7hM3Y2F8) we usually go after cod on something we call "bulefiske" (bump fishing). The cod gathers in schoals that on the sonar looks like small (or large) "bumps" just over the bottom. It requires a lot of the skipper to navigate the boat to these bumps and keep it there for at least one drop. We have strong currents that make this a real challenge. But Spinnaren's skipper is a good man and a good skipper.

The depth is usually around 15-20m (45-60 feet) so I went out with my Penn Spinfisher V 3500 rigged on a Edge Dynamic Powercast 6-8lbs rod. Jigs around 100-150g is perfect to quickly reach the bottom.

Today the season for "bulefiske" had apparently come to a stop. We didn't find many bumps on the sonar and did a longer drifts instead. In a month or two the cod gathers in the shallows (4-10 m - 12-30 feet) and you can take them on real light gear which is really funny! :) I managed to land five or six cod that was legal and maybe 10-15 herrings for supper tonight.

The weather was great and it's always nice to get out on the water.. :)

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

rshu

nice fish! thanks for sharing your report!

Keta

Nice!  When I lived in Alaska the cod were 100'-300' deep and not fun to catch due to the heavy gear we used to get down that far.  
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Very nice Mandelstam, thanks for sharing it with us.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ossipeter

Nice cod! Good to her that there someone! :)

Mandelstam

Yea it's nice to see that at least here cod is slowly getting more plentiful. They are small in comparison to 10-15 years ago but at least in my waters we have the option to scale down our equipment to get a nice fight even from a 3 kg cod. And this summer has been wild. A lot of cod and in good sizes too. The ocean I fish in (Öresund) is a sound between Sweden and Denmark ( I can see Copenhagen from the beach). It's one of the busiest sounds in the world because every ship that wants to enter the Baltic Ocean has to come through here. And I think it's partly because of this that they have, for a long time, banned trawling. So compared to other parts of our coast the fish and ocean has been spared a lot of abuse.

Last summer a fishermen caught a two meter long marlin here. Unfortunately it was caught in a net. So we get some exotic guests as well. Sixty years ago people came from all over the world to catch giant bluefin here. But, as in a lot of other places, they are all gone now...

Source: http://www.raamuseum.se/Tonfisk.htm
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Alto Mare

I love the older pictures Karl, thanks for posting.
You mentioned that it was a nice day, on one of your shots that water didn't look that calm :-\ was it?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 09, 2013, 09:01:18 PM

You mentioned that it was a nice day, on one of your shots that water didn't look that calm :-\ was it?

I fish the NE Pacific and didn't notice that the water was so flat.  Last week we had 6'-7' wind waves we had to run into to get back to port, fortunately the swell was small.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Karl, love the hat!! Great report. Thanks for posting from the other side of the Atlantic.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Dominick

Good job Karl.  Cod are tasty fish.  I remember having cod mixed with fried potatoes at a Swedish friend's house years ago.  It was an odd taste for an American tongue but it was strangely cloying.  I kind of craved the taste.  I also had Lutefisk at a Norwegian house.  All the jokes about lutefisk are true.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Great report and pics Karl - thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

bluefish69

Cod is one of my favorite fish to catch & you have them in your back yard. Some people have all the luck.

Nice Fish

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

I make a mean Baccala' with potatoes, good stuff! ;)

bluefish69

Al right here comes a killer---- I don't eat Cod --- I was forced to eat Cod as a child & still can't get it in my mouth   BUT I like the Row

Par boil in water with a little vinergar till solid let cool a little slice flour & fry in Butter till lightly golden.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Mandelstam

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 09, 2013, 09:01:18 PM
I love the older pictures Karl, thanks for posting.

It rolled a bit but nothing too serious. The worst is when you get ashore after a day on the sea. That is the time I can get seasick, standing in the kitchen filleting cod and your brain still thinks it's out at sea. :)

Quote from: BMITCH on August 09, 2013, 11:41:06 PM
Karl, love the hat!! Great report. Thanks for posting from the other side of the Atlantic.
Bob

Cash is king! :) There's a record (don't remember which) when Cash is doing Me and Bobby McGee live at one of our biggest prisons in Sweden. He actually spoke good Swedish. I love Johnny Cash.

Quote from: bluefish69 on August 10, 2013, 03:29:26 AM
Al right here comes a killer---- I don't eat Cod --- I was forced to eat Cod as a child & still can't get it in my mouth   BUT I like the Row

Par boil in water with a little vinergar till solid let cool a little slice flour & fry in Butter till lightly golden.

What!? Don't eat cod? To me it's the best fish to eat period. Yesterday we steamed it with just some salt and pepper. Served with potatoes and carrots and a plain salad. Nothing fancy but food doesn't need to be fancy, just taste great! :)

My dad also likes the row, but smoked. Guess I have to try it sometime.. :)