Today's fishing outside Malmö, Sweden

Started by Mandelstam, August 09, 2013, 05:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

G'day Karl, I had to look up 'surströmming' as that's a new one on me.

"According to a Japanese study, a newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world, even more so than similarly fermented fish dishes such as the Korean Hongeohoe or Japanese Kusaya."

Something of an acquired taste then ;) ;D
Cheers mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Steve-O

Hopefully, not to hijack the thread but to add to it.

Last fall in Alaska, I fished for Silver Salmon all week and caught plenty. 

So after cleaning them on the dock, I got a whim to wet a line and "see" what would be lurking below. A sculpin, a sculpin, a sculpin, etc....and then the GLoomis 9 foot salmon rod bends over double and the tip touches the water and keeps going down!

What the HECK have I hooked into?

Reel, reel, reel, and near the top he gives up and rolls over.  big ole Cod!  P-cod they call 'em up there. For Pacific.

OH YEA! I drop my homemade knife jig tipped with salmon fin or belly and proceed to yank 17 of those  bad boys to the surface. No limit on P-cod in AK.....it's a "trash fish" to them.

battered & coconut encrusted is my fav recipe

Going back up to AK next month.

Ron Jones

Of all the salmons silvers are my favorite, but I'd rather have the cod.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Steve-O

Quote from: noyb72 on August 13, 2013, 06:55:31 PM

Ron

Ron, you got that right!  After catching the cod, I started culling salmon weight out of my second fish box to take home. Ended up giving the lodge owners 30 # of fillets as a wedding gift for their daughter's wedding dinner.  Win/Win!

Alto Mare

Ron
Yea, me too...especially the dried-up cod with salt ;)

Always a great report Steve-O, thanks for sharing.
You shouldn't disappear for a year at a time though, you should visit more often...we all have jobs you know ;D
How's that project from Alaska coming along, show us some pictures if you've completed it, we would love to see it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Steve-O

Sal, now you kill me with guilt......auggghhhh!  ;D  I know, I know.....shame on me......what's worse is I've only fished a few times this year.  I have stopped in more frequently than posting lately....but really - no excuses.

cheers

Keta

Ron

I prefer sockeye over both.  BTW, a live cod makes good bait for large halibut and a dead one can be quickly converted to crab and prawns.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Sure,
But if you fillet the cod, the head works for the halibut and the rest works for crab and then you have a FEAST!!

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on August 14, 2013, 03:57:25 AM
Sure,
But if you fillet the cod, the head works for the halibut and the rest works for crab and then you have a FEAST!!

Ron

When you catch dozens of them you don't have to.  My wife liked them.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

OK,
If I'm gonna catch dozens of fish in the PNW I'd rather them be black rock bass.

Ron

Ronald Jones
"

Mandelstam

Quote from: Steve-O on August 13, 2013, 04:46:30 PM

Great catch! :)

I really like the looks of that knife jig... You have more pictures of that? I love DIY stuff.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on August 14, 2013, 04:46:02 AM
OK,
If I'm gonna catch dozens of fish in the PNW I'd rather them be black rock bass.

Ron

Me too, I love catching them on the surface with light gear and they are good eating.

Mark Twain

Steve-O

Karl, here are some more images of the home made DIY knife jig.  I went to my local Thrift Store  and bought 6-8 of the heaviest stainless steel or Chrome and Brass plated steel table knives. They cost .25 ¢ each or 4 per USD. Add the split rings and hook and they are cheap and effective.

I used a Makita angle grinder to remove the blades and shape the blade ends smooth. The steel was hard to drill being tempered.  The split rings are stainless and the hooks are Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus hooks. Mustad Circle hooks would work, too. The swivels are the corkscrew stainless type used for halibut or other big game deep sea fishing. The line is Spectra heavy duty  for camping gear tie downs with heat shrink tubing to cover the spliced ends and knots.  The fish I caught were not intimidated by it all. It looks like a herring and I also bounced it on the rocky bottom to make noise. They are very effective on the boat when jigging for rock fish like black rock fish or others. Table knife handles are almost too light for deep water jigging. Anything over 100 feet is too deep as the tide current would put a bow in the line and they were just too light. Maybe connecting two knife handles together end to end like a broken back herring style would be better. These worked for me very well in shallow water and jigging down to 80 feet. Best with bait but work without if you get into a school of fish.  The eye sticker is probably not needed. On some others I added holographic tape on the side for flash. Probably not needed either.

Ron Jones

Quote from: Keta on August 14, 2013, 01:46:45 PM
Quote from: noyb72 on August 14, 2013, 04:46:02 AM
OK,

Ron

Me too, I love catching them on the surface with light gear and they are good eating.
Hoo Yah!
I love pitching swim baits into the rocks from Fresh Water bay to La Push just for those things. Closest thing in the PNW to fishing the wall at Long Beach.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"