HOT ROD 309

Started by broschro, August 27, 2013, 11:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

Bryan Young

Take it apart and make sure you have a steel main gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broschro

Bryan Young

Unfortunately, it's by luck to find one.  There were even fewer steel gears for the 309s.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broschro

>:(man so dose any one make um? i also have a black 4/0 that was giving to me with the 309 and it dose have the steal gear.just want a levelwind for the kids.can i put a 5 stack in her?

Ron Jones

If it is for the kids, the brass gear should be fine. I would swap in HT-100 drags if they are nat already there, lube it up and fish the pee out of it.

The 309 uses the 500 main gear. You can often find a steel one on ebay. If you really want to Hot Rod it I would put a steel gear in with Bryan's 5+1 drags. Find a Newell base for a 112H, 99 etc., install a steel gear sleeve, ditch the level wind, figure out how to double dog it and get an aluminum spool. Then fish it like an albacore special because that's what you would have.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

broschro

Quote from: noyb72 on August 27, 2013, 08:13:09 PM
If it is for the kids, the brass gear should be fine. I would swap in HT-100 drags if they are nat already there, lube it up and fish the pee out of it.

The 309 uses the 500 main gear. You can often find a steel one on ebay. If you really want to Hot Rod it I would put a steel gear in with Bryan's 5+1 drags. Find a Newell base for a 112H, 99 etc., install a steel gear sleeve, ditch the level wind, figure out how to double dog it and get an aluminum spool. Then fish it like an albacore special because that's what you would have.

Ron
^this is what i will do.thanks Ron :) If anyone has any of the good's that Ron has mentioned please let me know. Thanks   Jamie

Alto Mare

Lately I've learned from my personal tests that the tip of the pinion goes before the main gear :-\. This happens at around 27lbs.
Bryans kit will bring you there, just be smart on the line you use and you should be ok.
By the way, I'm going to recommend the Surfmaster 100. You could put some magnets on the plate and watch the kids have some fun ;)
I love these little reels. Now I can say that, no need to compete on ebay anymore, I have plenty ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Sal,
I also love the little reels. I really like my 180 because the swappable spool thing makes me uncomfortable. But he already has a 309 and the 309 has perfect all mono capacity. That seems nice to me if you are trying to keep it simple.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Oh sorry, I didn't know Jamie already had one. Carry on! ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broschro

will the 505 base fit or 500

Alto Mare

Yes! The 30-500 is shared by many reels, about a dozen of them.

Sorry...the 30-200, not 30-500.

broschro

thanks Sal anyone have the gear i need  in steal ???going with the newell base ss gear sleve. looking for a nice grip thinking Alan's 4/0 grip will fit Aydens hand good.

George4741

Quote from: broschro on August 28, 2013, 12:26:06 AM
will the 505 base fit or 500

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 28, 2013, 12:34:57 AM
Yes! The 30-500 is shared by many reels, about a dozen of them.

Sorry...the 30-200, not 30-500.

If you are asking
"does the 505 or 500 base fit the 309?"
the answer is no.  The 309 uses the narrower 30-66 base.
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

oops, thanks for catching that George, I thought Jamie meant if the 505 would fit a 500.
I read or as on ::)