Anybody know anything about this new Jigmaster gearset on ebay?

Started by Joel.B, August 28, 2013, 03:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

This seller (the same guy sold to Dawn at smooth drag) dropped the price like crazy. It is $29.95 while Charkbait is selling the same set for $39.99. It is a bargain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190895781428?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I would like to know if anyone bought from him. If so, can you tell us if it is ok.

floating doc

My take on it: I haven't tried them and by now you know my thoughts on where I would buy gears.

Sure it's a cheap price, but I would recommend sitting tight on your current pricing for the Black Pearl gears. I'll bet there's no comparison.
Central Florida

maxpowers

I ordered a set just to see while I await the set from Alan.  It came in today and although it looked good and felt strong it made a funny noise in my 506HS.   Sort of a clicking sound..  I pulled on it for a good 10 minutes at 15+ lbs

maxpowers

an update on the gear set:

the ring on the pinion popped off and i think that is what making the noise.  reel continued to pull well but the free spool suffered dramatically.

Black Pearl

Quote from: maxpowers on October 18, 2013, 02:11:54 PM
an update on the gear set:

the ring on the pinion popped off and i think that is what making the noise.  reel continued to pull well but the free spool suffered dramatically.

the ring might not be pressed in correctly. You should be able to put it back on better.

maxpowers

What is the purpose of the ring on the pinion gear?  Is it to keep the spindle from stripping the pinion?

Black Pearl

Quote from: maxpowers on October 18, 2013, 07:36:28 PM
What is the purpose of the ring on the pinion gear?  Is it to keep the spindle from stripping the pinion?
I think there is a purpose for that ring. I have to take off a 113H to check it again.

Alto Mare

Quote from: maxpowers on October 18, 2013, 07:36:28 PM
Yes, To beef them up for strength.
there has been a lot of conversations about teeth shredding under stress, I haven't had that luck yet :-\. The damage that I've seen on my gears from my stress test was related to that area where the ring sits. The teeth on my Jigmaster under that ring did get damaged and the 6/0 pinion opened up like a V shape at that same area, but the teeth never shredded, the 6/0 main gear did move to one side and got pointy though. Here is a shot of what I'm talking about, sorry couldn't find the pinion.

Click on it to enlarge.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Black Pearl on October 13, 2013, 01:42:37 AM
This seller (the same guy sold to Dawn at smooth drag) dropped the price like crazy. It is $29.95 while Charkbait is selling the same set for $39.99. It is a bargain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190895781428?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I would like to know if anyone bought from him. If so, can you tell us if it is ok.

Well, that seller dropped the price again. It is $24.95 now. I guess he wants to get rid of all. Then, Charkbait is still selling it for #39.99.