Anybody know anything about this new Jigmaster gearset on ebay?

Started by Joel.B, August 28, 2013, 03:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

saltydog

The gears look straight while the pinion looks helical, it does look a little fishy and so does the price.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bryan Young

Saw it today...didn't even think about it for some reason...I'm waiting for Alan to come out with his gears.  I still need to check out Dawn's gears, but been a bit busy.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

If it seems too good to be true, It usually is.
I wouldn't roll those dice Joel. ;D
Life is Good!

Black Pearl

I think this is the same gear set that Dawn is selling. By looking at the main gear, it is not for JM500/501 nor 112H. It is for JM505.

It can be fitted into the JM 500 or 112H with some modification on the sideplate.

Then again, what do I know?????? ;)

Joel.B

Does not quite look the same as Dawns gear- especially the pinion, the teeth within the collar of the pinion, and edges of teeth inside the groove for the yoke.   Metal quality does not look the same either.

Norcal Pescador

Main gear has 58 teeth. From what I can see of the pinion, I'm guessing 12 which would make it 4.83:1, consistent with a Penn 505/506. Penn replacement 505/506 gears have a brass main gear and s/s pinion. It could be an early gear set, but .... ???

Newell 5:1 Jigmaster gears are 5:1. Did Accurate ever make a set of gears for Jigmasters?
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Black Pearl on August 28, 2013, 11:16:41 AM
I think this is the same gear set that Dawn is selling. By looking at the main gear, it is not for JM500/501 nor 112H. It is for JM505.

It can be fitted into the JM 500 or 112H with some modification on the sideplate.

You're right,  Alan. The pinion needs to be drilled out to 3/16" to fit the JM spool shaft, too.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Black Pearl

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on August 28, 2013, 06:41:43 PM
Main gear has 58 teeth. From what I can see of the pinion, I'm guessing 12 which would make it 4.83:1, consistent with a Penn 505/506. Penn replacement 505/506 gears have a brass main gear and s/s pinion. It could be an early gear set, but .... ???

Newell 5:1 Jigmaster gears are 5:1. Did Accurate ever make a set of gears for Jigmasters?
Accurate did make a gears set for JM 500, but they discontinued it after awhile because those teeth on the gears were too thin and striped under heavy pressure. I guess they did not want to do a recall. That was what I heard. The Accurate JM 500 gear set were 4.8:1, but it was sold as 5:1.

Dawn

Hi Guys
That's the Co. I am getting the Newell gears from.
He is also now making the 500/112H

Dawn
Dawn

Black Pearl

Quote from: Dawn on August 28, 2013, 07:22:37 PM
Hi Guys

Dawn

They lower their price on Ebay. Bad.......

Dawn

Dawn

Black Pearl

Quote from: Dawn on August 28, 2013, 07:22:37 PM
Hi Guys

Dawn
Since your resource is making the JM500/112H, you won't have to carry mine when it is ready. ;)

Alto Mare

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on August 28, 2013, 06:47:02 PM
Quote from: Black Pearl on August 28, 2013, 11:16:41 AM

You're right,  Alan. The pinion needs to be drilled out to 3/16" to fit the JM spool shaft, too.
Yes you're right Rob, but on that particular set no drilling was required.
The pinion fit on the 500 nice and snug, much better that Penn's and it was jus a little loose on the 505 and I mean a little.
The gear set is cut to perfection, I had to sand down Alan's sleeve to be able to slide the main gear all the way down.
The problem wasn't with the gear, the sleeve was a little wider at the base from the top.
Alan's sleeve are usually ok, but on this gear set you will need to do some sanding, unless they enlarge the inner hole a little.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 28, 2013, 08:25:20 AM
If it seems too good to be true, It usually is.
I wouldn't roll those dice Joel. ;D
I guess that doesn't apply now!
See, Fleabay can be really good some times. ;D
Life is Good!