Magging a Jigmaster 500

Started by saltydog, September 04, 2013, 02:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish

Thanks very neat. Just a question, do you get any spool wobble or is that why you use 6 magnets?

nelz

Quote from: saltydog on September 13, 2013, 07:30:33 PM
It works equally well with either the 500, 500l, or the 500s and just any reel you want to mag, I have even magged 9/0 's for guys who like to cast them, not many of them left. I did an ABU 6000 the other day for a guy who likes to cast heavy jigs and irons for Stripers.

Just meant it would make switching magnets much easier.

saltydog

You shouldn't get any spool wobble unless your bushings or bearings are worn out or your shaft is slightly out of round. I use 6 because the reels I use cast very heavy jigs, 4 to 8 oz. and when you want to do lighter you remove some of the magnets like when I do 2 to 4 oz. jigs I usually take out 3 of the magnets on one side and when I am throwing small shad, under 4" with a split shot I don't use any at all. This system of magging allows you to adjust for the baits and conditions you will face. Another thing you can do to adjust how your magged reel throw is the oil or grease you use on the bearings or bushings. In the case of hot climates use a heavy grease like Yamaha to help slow the reel because a lighter oil like TS301 or any of the super slick oils will allow the reel to overspin and could burn your bearings up in hot weather, now in cold weather use a lighter grease or when really cold a lighter oil to control overspin temp.

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: saltydog on September 13, 2013, 07:30:33 PM
It works equally well with either the 500, 500l, or the 500s and just any reel you want to mag, I have even magged 9/0 's for guys who like to cast them, not many of them left. I did an ABU 6000 the other day for a guy who likes to cast heavy jigs and irons for Stripers.
I'm magging my 4/0w soon, I can do a spin lob on my 9/0 with no mags lol
Grayson Lanier

jig-guy

Hi SaltyDog, just saw this post and information on the mag of these reels. Cool stuff I am going to mag a reel and see how it will work for me. Thanks for the post and your efforts we all like to learn and do this kind of stuff.
tl
jig-guy / Bill

Tate

Thanks for sharing your process on this.  Where do you order get the magnets and what size should they be?  I cast my jigmasters frequently.  This would be a nice setup.

Thx Tate

saltydog

You can get them at the local hardware store or online on fleabay or other sites
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

jeff smith

Thanks for this Salty, I'm now going to give this method a try on both my squidders and surfmasters.

bob v

How would this work out with a plastic spool squidder? I figure the same ,right?.....bob v

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: bob v on February 03, 2015, 10:48:58 PM
How would this work out with a plastic spool squidder? I figure the same ,right?.....bob v

This doesn't work with plastic spools. You can add the washers to the spool like salty dog did and it may help. However the idea behind the maggin is eddy current which needs the aluminum spool to work.

Shark Hunter

I'm not touching that one Jason. ;D
I just know I miss the Dog. :'(
Life is Good!

bob v

So why would the magnetic field not be set up with the washers glued on the squidder spool? Different metal than aluminum but same principle, yes? If I'm not understanding this please explain.....bob v

Shark Hunter

I am no expert on magging a spool Bob. I think the spool has to be metal for this to work properly. I don't think just the washers on a plastic spool will create enough resistance.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

You may notice a slight difference if you adspace the washers, however I highly doubt it as the magnetic filed is broken between each washer. Now the best bet is to get a aluminum spool. it's a great upgrade for any reel with a plastic spool

tom5500

very nice.. does this affect your distance?