Penn 114H 7+1 Drag Set

Started by Bryan Young, September 05, 2013, 12:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many of you would be interested in a 7+1 drag set for your Penn 114H?

Yes
17 (94.4%)
No
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: October 05, 2013, 02:34:19 AM

Shark Hunter

Well, I tried a 7 stack in a regular 114H black pearl gear, I could only get in 6 with the Stock Penn HT-100's.
I am hoping the 114H and 115L stock gears are taller to make a 10 stack happen with Bryan's Washers without having to go custom on the CF's.
I don't have any other gears handy at the moment. They are all in my reels. I don't know what the thickness of the stock HT-100's are. I'm getting a new battery for my micrometer tomorrow!
I placed a stock penn 5 stack next to a seven stack with Bryan's washers and they are the same height.
I guess I need to just add another CF and a keyed and I am set with the seven.

Life is Good!

Ron Jones

If that keyed washer fits in the gear then I agree, your all set. I bet you could do 2 more with Carbontex washers.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 03, 2013, 05:52:34 AM
Well, I tried a 7 stack in a regular 114H black pearl gear, I could only get in 6 with the Stock Penn HT-100's.
I am hoping the 114H and 115L stock gears are taller to make a 10 stack happen with Bryan's Washers without having to go custom on the CF's.
I don't have any other gears handy at the moment. They are all in my reels. I don't know what the thickness of the stock HT-100's are. I'm getting a new battery for my micrometer tomorrow!
I placed a stock penn 5 stack next to a seven stack with Bryan's washers and they are the same height.
I guess I need to just add another CF and a keyed and I am set with the seven.

That looks perfect.  The last eared washer is usually flushed with the top of the gear with the last CF and keyed metal washer above the gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Quote from: noyb72 on December 03, 2013, 06:51:09 AM
If that keyed washer fits in the gear then I agree, your all set. I bet you could do 2 more with Carbontex washers.
Ron
What do you think of this statement Bryan? The only Carbontex drags I've used are the smaller ones that go under the main gear. I think buying sheets of CF would be more economical. Which should I use?
.070, .090 or 1.0? Any input Guys?
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 03, 2013, 03:55:54 PM
Quote from: noyb72 on December 03, 2013, 06:51:09 AM
Ron
What do you think of this statement Bryan? The only Carbontex drags I've used are the smaller ones that go under the main gear. I think buying sheets of CF would be more economical. Which should I use?
.070, .090 or 1.0? Any input Guys?
Hi Daron,

#6-115 HT-100 drag washers are approximately 1.33 mm thick.  You were able to fit 6 HT-100s with 6 metal washers.  That will put the gear depth about 11 mm.

So, if you switched to 0.76 mm thick washers, it's possible for your to create 8 CF washers in the gear (8 x 0.76 = 6.08 mm) and 8 metal washer (8 x 0.5 = 4 mm thick) for a total depth of 10.1 mm in the gear.  You may need to add a washer or two on the top of the stack to fill in the gap.  I would personally use 4 CF washers that are 1.0 mm thick and 4 CF washers that are 0.76 mm thick to fill the gap.

Let's see if you can fit 10 in the gear if you use 0.5 mm thick CF washers.  10 CF washers (10 x 0.5 = 5 mm) and 10 metal washers (10 x 0.5 = 5) for a total of 10 mm in the gear.  I would personally use  4 CF washer 0.76 mm thick and 6 CF washer 0.5 mm thick; or 2 CF washers 1.0 mm thick and 8 CF washer 0.5 mm thick to fill in the gap.

This may also vary depending if the groves for the ears are drilled all the way down or not in the main gear.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Wow!
Thanks Bryan. You just saved me some time!
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

And don't forget the last CF and keyed washer on the top of the drag stack. ;D

I'm so very interested to hear how it works out.  Be careful...that shark may take you water skiing all the way to PR.

Ron Jones

The great thing about this stack is that it fits both reels. I'm currently building a trolling set based on the 114HLW aluminum frame. I would like to use the hex drags, but am afrade they will be long gone by the time I'm in the market. With Alan's gears and this drag stack I should have more than enough drag for anything I'd want to troll for in Hawaii.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

You could fit (11) .50mm washers in the 5-114H using Bryan's custom washers.
I do have doubts that they will hold up at those setting though, they do flex. We will need to see how they do, and I don't mean by testing on land, well except for the surfers. You guys know what I mean, we need to see what happens when a nice fish is on.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Sal,
I Just talked to Eric. Well, didn't really talk, I sent him a message. Is The regular .70 sheet he sells the laminated sheet? I told him that you got some .75 laminated washers from him. he just replied that he sells the .70 sheet. I want two 8"x8".
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Well, I've decided to stick with the 7 stack. I am afraid that when a 10 stack gets rolling, it will chew up the thin CF's like a blender. I got me 2, 8"x8" sheets of .120 from Eric. That's pretty close to the stock HT-100's and will feel more confident with this setup. Plus I can use these sheets for all my monster reels.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

the 0.5 mm CF washers would be fine.  But, I am able to get 28# of drag from the stock 5 +1 set-up and predict you could get 35# of drag with a 7+1 set-up.  That is plenty of drag.  What would you do with 45 to 50# of drag anyway?  Water sking anyone?

Shark Hunter

Exactly Bryan!
No need to fix it if it ain't broken. ;)
Life is Good!