New production Penn 117L

Started by Shark Hunter, September 13, 2013, 04:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I've been eyeballin' one of those newer 14/0's with the aluminum spool. Does anybody have one?
I was going to just upgrade one of mine to an Aluminum spool so my clicker would wake up Jimmy Hoffa, until I found out they go for $250! :o
Does anyone know if this beast is still made in Philly? I have two of the older one piece bronze spool models, but was thinking of getting a new one, just because I can. :P
I noticed in Sal's tutorial of the double dogged one that it has the aluminum spool and stainless sleeve.
After reading the whole post again, it looks like you just modified an old one.
I was just wondering if these newer models are made in China or not.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Nope, American made. There above the 250 dollar ish cut off
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Good Call Grayson! It came yesterday. It is the Bomb! :P
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

I'm thinking 300-600yds of 200lb JB to a 200lb mono topper  ;D
Grayson Lanier

alantani

you wife never watches tv, right? ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

I knew you were going to Chime in Alan! ;D
Life is Good!

alantani

yeah. it's just that joy has been catching up on all of her tv shows lately.  been sitting on the couch alot.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dynamo

I'd stick with the old chrome spools if I were you. The aluminum spools might be lighter, but I keep hearing of them warping, while the  chrome over brass spools can handle a lot of pressure. Just an opinion. By the way, how long did it take you to accumulate all of those beautiful Senators? That pic of your collection is priceless......

-Dynamo

Shark Hunter

I've been collecting about 2 years now Dynamo. I think Penn should at least give me a free T-shirt or something. ;) There is lots to learn on the Senator board. Where did you hear of the Aluminum spools warping?
Life is Good!

Dynamo

I agree! I'm just coming into this exciting new world of reel repair and have a lot to learn! And I've heard of the spools warping on the South Florida Shark Club, they really push their Senators there.........

Bunnlevel Sharker

Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dynamo

Nope! Not three-piece spools, they said quite clearly that the blown spools were new production black aluminum spools, not 3-pieces.......I find it interesting as well, you would think that the new spools would be superior, perhaps not? I know that the main reason they switched was because of corrosion resistance.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dynamo

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 29, 2013, 08:09:54 PM
I was afraid of that! :-\
I think the chrome-spools are loud enough, you definitely have the right kind of equipment for what you want to do. One guy, (don't personally know him), hot-rodded his 12/0's drag and got up to  the sixties! he upgraded his gears and all but the spool was fine.