Need Advice on Rod clamps for Penn 113h and Penn 114h on Accuframes!!

Started by TomT, September 13, 2013, 06:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomT

Hey guys,   
About a year ago I bought some Penn 113h's and 114h's on ebay.  I bought a couple of them because I thought they had more bling. :D  I am planning to go thru these and replace the gears with ss from BP.  I have bought all new drags.  These reels are to be Christmas gifts to my kids.  Before going thru them I am waiting for some parts from Alan.  Two of the "bling" reels are red alum frames from Accuframes.  My problem is these reels did not come with the rod clamps.  The clamps that I can find on ebay & the internet are ridiculously expensive and I am not even sure they are the correct clamps.  They must be rare. ::)  I am hoping that there may be some stock rod clamps for other reels that can be used on these frames.   The screw holes in both frames are 1/4" and on the 113h the holes are 1 1/2" apart and on the 114h the holes are 1 5/8" apart.  Any suggestions?    Would maybe a clamp from a larger Penn work?   Maybe a clamp from a Diawa or Shimano?  Any ideas on fabricating clamps?  I would appreciate some advice.
Thanks, TomT

alantani

tom, i haven't fogotten about your parts request (from last month.....  :-\).  i might have a clamp that might work.  1.5 inches, right?  it's an old accurate clamp.  i will measure out the diameter and let you know.  still working on everything else. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TomT

The Accurate-framed 113h has 1 1/2" spacing.    The Accurate-framed 114h has 1 5/8" spacing.  So the old Accurate one you have will probably work on at least one of them.  The stock Penn 114h that I have has 2" spacing on the screws and will not work.
Thanks for your response and I understand on the parts.
TomT

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

George4741

viurem lliures o morirem

George4741

Tom, I've been playing around with my Accurate framed 114 and some Penn parts fit.  Here's what works for me.  All from Scotts Penn Parts.  

1.  33-340 graphite rod clamp, the same one the newer 9/0 Senators use.  The holes are oblong and fit a spacing from 1-5/8 to 2".

2.  34-975 clamp screw, used on the Baja Special.  You need 2 of these.  They thread into the Accurate frame like they were made for it.

3.  149-113HN clamp nut.  Again, from the Baja Special.  You need 2 of these, too.

The parts are all reasonably priced.  I would post some photos, but that gets rather tedious.  I'm not sure about the Accurate framed 113H, as I don't have one of those to play with.
  George

viurem lliures o morirem

TomT

George and Dayone--thanks for your advice.

I guess one of my problems (complaints) is from buying online without really seeing an object.  When I bought these reels, I just assumed they were Penn reels with pretty frames instead of bars. ::)  To me a reel without a clamp is NOT a reel, it is part of a reel or a reel part and should not be sold as a reel.  I have read the arguments that you should look better at the pictures or file a complaint.  I also look for cars online and I have looked at hundreds of them.  I have never seen the owner include a picture of the transmission, but I assume it has one.
I wonder if the Tiberon and Newell and Accuframes take the same reel clamp??   If so I would think that someone could manufacture a clamp and could make a mint selling them to guys like me who have bought a "reel" that they can not use.  People on this site are making ss parts and gears.  I see a couple of our guys are trying to come up with a way to make handles out of a synthetic material.  I think there is a potentially huge market out there for economical clamps that would fit these reels frames.  I can buy clamps for a Penn 113h or 114h for under $10.  Why should I have to pay close to $50 for a clamp and ss screws for that clamp for a "reel" I have already paid for. 

I will look at the sites advised and hopefully can find a match for the measurements I need.  I would think that almost any clamp with the same hole to hole measurement would work, but maybe not.  It sounds like Alan has one that will fit the 113h.

Thanks again guys,
TomT   

Alto Mare

Tom, your problem is not so much with the rod clamp, you could make some work with a little customizing.
Your problem is trying to find the bolts that will fit the frame.
Send Tony an email and see if he could help, these might be too small, but he could probably put some together for you. :-\
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-Reel-Rod-Clamp-International-II-12-T-/111025856373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d9a81f75

Tom, I just checked out the bolts that George mentioned above, you won't do better than those
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/34-113HN.aspx
I had no idea they were that reasonable, I might grab some for myself also,  just to have them.
thanks for checking them out George.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

day0ne

The Tib clamps and the Accurate clamps are the same size and spacing.  The new Tib clamps are very nice indeed, not bulky like the old Accurate clamps. The stud or bolts are standard size, either a 10-24 or a 1/4-20.The large Tib clamp set is $30 for the 1/4-20 and $25 for the 10-24. The complete Penn set for a 113HN is $25, your choice. Missing clamps on reels is very, very, common, you always have to ask if you don't see it. It's not like a transmission, the reels works without it.

http://www.tiburonfishingreels.com/rod-reel-clamps

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/33C-113HN.aspx

BTW, I measured a bunch of my Accurate frames and they were all 1 5/8", even the Jigmaster frames. Most of the Tib clamps I have are slotted to fit different spacings but 1 5/8" seems to be max. Give them a call

Tiburon Engineering
2666 S. Grand Ave., Santa Ana, CA 92705
Phone: (714) 546-7553  Fax: (714) 546-7589

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

George4741

Here are some ideas on different clamps that fit my reels.

Surprisingly, both of these sets of screws (studs) came with my Baja Special.  They are #34-113HN and #34-975. The larger end has a 1/4nc20 thread and threads into the frames of my Accurate and Tiburon 6/0.

This is the #33-340 graphite rod clamp.  Notice the oblong holes that allow it to fit a variety of different spaced studs.  It is great for the 6/0 frames.

This is the standard hardware that came with my Accurate 6/0 frame.  The parts are almost identical to the Tiburon 6/0 parts, and both frames have the same stud spacing.

Here is a Penn #33-340 clamp and #34-113HN studs on a narrow Tib frame 6/0.  It fits the same way on the Accurate 6/0 frame.

This is a Tib frame Albacore Special with a Penn #33N-113 graphite clamp.  The threaded studs are 10nc24 and the stud spacing is 1-3/8". The standard Tiburon clamp and nuts are below.  This set-up also fits on my Accurate frame Albacore Special. I wonder if your Accurate 113H frame uses the same clamp as the Albacore Special?

This is a Penn #33-200 clamp on the same Albacore Special.

These are Newell reel feet for a Penn 501.  The Penn #33-49 rod clamp may not look as nice as the Newell but it works.  The Newell screws are an 8nc32 thread.

The wider Newell reel feet, such as those on another Albacore Special and a standard width 500, screw spacing is different and none of my Penn clamps fit them, although you can probably modify something to work.

I hope this is helpful,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

George4741

I see that while I was penning the above post, dayOne also posted some similar info.  DayOne, I hope I didn't step on your toes.
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

You never step on anyone's toes George ;)
You have some beautiful reels there buddy, one thing surprised me though, that green stuff on the third pix, you know better than that George.
If you didn't remove that clamp, you would have never seen it. Lets get her cleaned buddy ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Thanks, Sal.  All of those photos and you notice some green on the clamp ;).  You slay me. ;D  You will have to trust me when I say there isn't any salt corrosion on the innards of any of my reels. ;D

viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

;D ;D...Just playing around George. I already know how you keep your stuff that is why I said it ;)