P.E.I. 3 days Giant Tuna Trip! Video added!

Started by jiggingworld, September 17, 2013, 09:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggingworld

Fished Saturday, Sunday & Monday with Capt. Spence Norton on Sun catcher!

Greg chartered last year and I was able to join him since he needed new buddy fish with him.

Greg pick me at my shop around 8:30PM and we drive nonstop to P.E.I. he just scheduled so we can stop by P.E.I shell fish festival. Not a lot of venders but had fresh oysters, clams, sea food chowder, and even lobster rolls. I was so full; have to pass fresh oysters to Greg.

Saturday, Greg go first, he was using his custom build black hole giant with Avet T-RX, once Capt. Spence pulled his herring net, we saw tuna marks right away, they feed them for few minutes and dropped fresh herring bait we got from the net, after 2 try Greg got tight. He set the drag 65lb at strike, only took 22min for 750lb Giant.
We go back to dock and come out again but not seeing any fish, Capt. Spencer set one kite and 1 live Mackerel. I was going to use my prototype rod witch Avet EX-50w but found Gimbal were loose. So Greg asked me to his rod and reel. After 10~20 drifting, fish on... I never fought any fish with 65lb drag before, but was able to land 650lb Giant in 12 minutes. High drag, shorter fighting time if you have right gear.

I was not able to take any pictures for my first 650lb, because leader line got broke while Mate's gaff tangled to leader line.

heading to Japan.

738lb Giant.

Sunday, Greg goes first. We had little slower bite, Giant took dead hearing again, took much longer run and we knew it was big fish. After 50min fight, we saw huge Giant, Spence estimated 1000lb. Congratulations Greg.
After we touched dock and back out again, it was so quiet, not many boat hooked at all, we stayed until 6:00pm, but no bite.
   I was afraid I could not test my rod and reel. I posted Alan Tani's web site if I can upgrade my Avet ex-50w so I can get more drag, someone suggested change washer position from ()() to ((((, so I did before the trip, when we test my Avet, we were able to get 55lb drag at strike, thanks for that tip.

Greg's 1000lb Giant.

Monday, I was first, we saw a lot of herring boats working, Capt bought some bait from commercial herring boat and started working one of the herring boat, he dropped 2 dead herring right next to herring boat, but no bite, he changed to live mackerel and we got instant bite, once he clean away from herring nets, he passed rod to me and fight is on. I started about 30lb drag and tested my blanks, I was afraid if the blank is not good for P.E.I giant, after 10 min fight, I got more confident this rod, I gave more and more drag, once I saw mono top shot, I set drag to 55lb, rod performed very nice, landed my 750lb giant in 19 min. not so bad for 15oz rod. Thanks Ralph (rodwinder).

I am ready.. ???

Greg, You need better camera. ;D

Greg had big fish again, fish took more than half of the spool on 65lb drag, but leader line got broke. After 2~3 hours, he got bite on live mackerel on kite. He fought 20 min for his 750lb giant.

I was great trip, it was not like 2011 fish were everywhere. but able to test my rod and reel handles.

Gear used.

Black hole Giant custom.(cut 4" from tip) Avet T-RX. 200lb JB hollow, 60ft 240lb jinkai mono top shot. 15ft 200lb Seaguar Fluorocarbon.
NO name custom rod from Jigging World. Avet EX-50W with JW custom Handle.  60ft 240lb jinkai mono top shot. 15ft 200lb Seaguar Fluorocarbon.

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Shark Hunter

Quadruple WOW!
Those are some Giants! good Job. ;D
Life is Good!

Brendan

Well done. And beyond description. I always chuckle at the people on this site that talk drag ratings and reel failure. I know I am the weak link in the equation and not the reel. I still follow all upgrade advice for all of my reels, but what you pulled off is not even something I could even dream of pulling off. Beyond amazing, Brendan.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

john2244

Great fishing !!!  Thanks for posting.

John

harryk3616

now that's wicked tuna,   hum ma nah hum a nah   as ralph kramden would say,  very nice, congrats

wallacewt

ossipeter

CapeFish

Incredible! serious tackle and angler testing!

jiggingworld

Thanks for all reply! ;D

Greg has 26 Giants on his T-RX out of the box, high drag make big diffence when you fighting big fish.

I used my EX-50w 2011 for PEI, had 1 fish around 800lb, tooks me 55min bring that fish in but had hard time, have to use both my thums to get more drag. after the fight, we notice drag droped to 36lb on strike, was 45lb before the fight. I greased my drag right before the trip and I think I did too much. this time, I just opend reel and changed drag ring posisions. that 55lb drag really make the fight easy.. I love Avets large reels now! ;D

Yong.