Shark fishing

Started by Shark Hunter, September 21, 2013, 06:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Well, I haven't caught that 12 footer yet, but this one wasn't too shabby. The 12/0 made quick work of this big Black tip. He is one mean fish! ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Nice shot Daron, way to go! Glad to see you're having fun. I can't tell from the picture, is that a 357 magnum in your left hand? ;D
Keep them coming Buddy.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

That's my Dehooker Buddy! LOL :D
Life is Good!

saltydog

Nice fish, keep em coming.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Dominick

Great.  More, more.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

A dehooker???  I thought you were tough.  Just reach on in and take back what's yours.   :D :D Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

saltydog

You only do that once Dom.  ;) ;D
MacArthur

Dominick

Salty:  I knew a guy in my old neighborhood with 2 fingers missing on his left hand.  He was a mob guy and a loan shark.  His nickname was Three Fingered Frank.  When we were kids there was a lot of speculation on how he lost those fingers.  Maybe he was a shark fisherman.  :-\  For a while he was partners with Patty One Leg.  True story.  Dom ask your Uncle Dom about these guys if you don't believe it.  Dominick

saltydog

MacArthur

Shark Hunter

I will take what's mine back very carefully Dom. My boy kayaked baits out for these beauties about 100 yards offshore. This is a smaller one, but he was mighty feisty. He took off on a slow roll. I let him run about 20 seconds before engaging the drag. I thought it was something much bigger. We are heading home tomorrow.
We caught several more, but none as big as the first. It was quite an experience.
Life is Good!

HOLEINTHEWATER

GREAT POST. LOOKS LIKE FUN.

otownjoe

Nice shark, nothing like surf fishing for sharks. You get two adrenaline rushes, one on the first run when you dont know how big it is and if you can stop it. the second one when you get em back in the water without getting bit.

WCFLA

Now a photo of the rod and reel used to catch the sharks with  :)

Regards,
Dan

Shark Hunter

Penn 12/0 Senator on a Davis 130 to 160 lb 5,1/2' roller rod. 130 lb test Exsum Monofilament. Straight Mono, no backing, no braid. custom leader I made myself. 20/0 Mustad Circle, 8 ' 480lb cable, 25' 400 lb shock leader with 2 0z sliding trace weight.
Click to watch video. after the camera gets sat down on the Kayak. That's it.
Davis rod are inexpensive, They are not the best, you need to maintain the rollers regularly. Complete disassemble and lube with corrosion X. Other guys say to use grease. The Corrosion X makes them pretty smooth. You have to keep them out of the sand! This rod is a broomstick! It hardly bends at all. I made quick work of these Two Blacktips with it. The Aftco fighting harness is a must.. Once your clipped onto the reel, its game on! This is the first nice shark I have caught. It took a lot of research and preparation. He wasn't out of the water for 60 seconds tops. A local came by as I released it and said, I guess this is not your guys first shark. I said "actually it is!"
Fish On!
Life is Good!

pcde123

dang, thats how the water are in kentucky.......texas surf is rough, ur water looks like lake water almost, and the fact that u only kayak 100yds.....texas 300-400yds is normal , no wonder u can use a 2oz weight, some times i just tie a big rock about the size of a basketball with 30lb mono to the eye of the hook, thats the only way to keep it still for hours, and then when the shark bits it cuts the mono instantly