daiwa sealine 50h, for surf casting....idk

Started by pcde123, September 21, 2013, 09:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcde123

i got my hands on a daiwa sealine 50h, im planning to pair it up with an ugly stick 12fter, its supposed to be my back up surf combo, i saw a video of a SealineĀ®-X SHA, being used to surf cast and  i figured the older version sealing 50h could do the job as well... the free spool on my un touched reel is about 5-6 sec, before i plan on investing in a new drag stack and bearings does any one know if this is a reel work putting in some work, i bought it for 30 dollars shipped on ebay so no hurt feeling if yall tell me its a piece of junk, in that case ill, put it on a smaller rod and take it out when i kayak fish

Ron Jones

It's worthless, send it to me and I'll properly dispose of it. ;D

Seriously though, I have never actually tried to cast this reel. I've used one a bit for bottom fishing and liked it, I certainly feel it is worth upgrading, but the speed shaft of the SH-V et all will be better for casting.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

pcde123

alright, ill go ahead and upgrade it, if its not casting at a solid distance then ill just use it as a kayak reel, since i heard that these thigns can put up with salt

bluefish69

If Ron is on a Fishing trip & can't be reached I will take the 50H. Bryan told me the bearings are packed with grease. I opened the bearing soaked them in TSI 321 till the dirt flushed out dried them & soaked them in TSI 301 then dried them. The reel spins like a top. Also put Carbonex Drags in from Dawn. I still have a right side bearing on back order because Daiwa is out of stock. If you need a drawing & parts list -- planetseafishing.com

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

floating doc

The 50H is a good reel. I've caught a lot of fish on one.
Central Florida

jonathan.han

Anything can be casted. It just depends who is casting
raw instinct

Bunnlevel Sharker

Grayson Lanier

broadway

I've caught from 1 lb. porgy to 30lb. bass on that lil' guy and never failed yet.  I have also casted from a 1oz. bucktail to a bait-n-8 with it.
Bluefish Mike is right, get the grease out and give it the TS treatment... mine was packed, too.
Dom

Dave Bentley

Contrary to others I have just washed the oil out of my 40H and replaced it with grease to slow it down.

2 out 3 casts resulted in a birds nest and I was too nervous to use at night.

Now I can belt it out into the seabreeze, 20 knots, with out a care in the world and night fishing is a dream, without knowing where the bait is at the end of the cast.

For $30 it's worth the while to play with it.
Only believe that which you know to be true.

Bryan Young

They are solid reels, and I'd use them for casting.  Bearings need to be cleaned out as they are packed very well with grease.  You cannot remove the bearing from the cup so I open the one side, spray out the grease with compressed air, soak them is WD-40 then blow them out with compressed air again then repeat another time.  Then spray carb cleaner and compressed air again then I dip in TSI301 or add a drop or two of TSI321 and I'm good.  You'll get more spin than you may want.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pcde123

whats carb cleaner??? i have wd-40, but illneed to buy some compressed air and TSI 301, 321, are there any alternatives to this?? can i buy it at a homedepot?

bluefish69

WD - 40 Home Depot

Compressed air Cosco or BJ's Or any office supply store

Carb Cleaner or Brake Cleaner from Auto Supply store

TSI Products from Penn Parts

Cals Grease from Penn Parts

Blue Penn Grease From Penn Parts

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

Quote from: pcde123 on September 24, 2013, 12:50:31 AM
whats carb cleaner??? i have wd-40, but illneed to buy some compressed air and TSI 301, 321, are there any alternatives to this?? can i buy it at a homedepot?
Carborator Cleaner as used for your car for any automotive supply houses.

For compressed air, I have also used a straw to blow out bearings.  Yeah, kind of old style, but it works on the cheap.  Better to use those stiring straws then the bigger McDs. straws.

If you cannot get TSI301/321, how about CorrosionX?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 24, 2013, 05:35:48 AM

Carburetor Cleaner as used for your car for any automotive supply houses.

Bryan, your showing your age. THeir are a lot of people these days that have never heard of a carburetor, much less cleaned one. ;D
ROn
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

What do you mean, one of my cars still has a carborator.