penn 9/0

Started by mjg3, September 25, 2013, 01:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg3

Hey Guys and Gals, kinda new here!! My question is about my 9/0 senators 1 is an older model all original and the other is a newer model where the clicker is in the handle. hope that makes sense!! both reels have perfomed flawlessly forever, it just seems like this shark fishing season on the beach of central Fl has has done them both in. I have been told the money I would put into rebuilds/ mods could get a pair of 30w avets!!! well nothing against avet but just love the penns!!! plus I was born in Philly where The older was manufactured and still have 4 309s my father grew up with!! Ok enough what to do ? if I need to put them in the mail to get rebuilt/ mods let me know if there is a kit I can purchase let know! I run 500yds of 60lb braid topped off with 60 lb berkly big game which is estimated at 4-5 hundred yds so im not putting all that much pressure on them. between the2 we have put 49 shark on the beach as last weekend any help would be gtly appericated thanks mike

Cone

Welcome mike!  What's wrong with them? You can use the 113h/114h tutorial for servicing the 9/0. There is not much difference in design. If the gear sleeve is rounded out at the handle, a ss sleeve is a good upgrade. Alan Tani sells these although I'm not sure if he has anymore right now. If you need help someone will be happy to help.   Bob 
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

floating doc

Hi Mike. Welcome aboard!  Where are you fishing? I'm in the same area.
Central Florida

Alto Mare

What do you mean by "has done them both?" Could you give some specifics on what's wrong with the reels?
If you're not comfortable working on them, to bring them up a notch, put them in a flat rate box and send them over.
You'll pay for all shipping costs and parts. If you need them back soon, don't bother.
Did that person give you an estimate of the cost? It's really not that bad....it could be, but there is no need to go all the way. I do, but I'm crazy ;D
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 25, 2013, 04:08:23 AMIt's really not that bad....it could be, but there is no need to go all the way. I do, but I'm crazy ;D
Sal
The lesson endeth. ;D
Life is Good!

saltydog

9/0 are really easy to work on and don't cost that much to fix, give us an idea of how they are beyond salvation. pics.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

Yes, Pics!
You are talking to the Penn Gurus Here! These guys know their way around a Senator! ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Zin trance helps cure insanity I heard
Grayson Lanier

Dominick

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on September 25, 2013, 10:50:55 PM
Zin trance helps cure insanity I heard

It will also cure the plague.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cone

Quote from: Pescachaser on September 26, 2013, 03:21:47 AM

It will also cure the plague.   ;D Dominick

Dominick, I think you mean people avoid you like the plague.  ;) ;)  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Shark Hunter

Not Me Dom! ;)
Now How about some 9/0 pics! We need to Survey the damage!
Life is Good!

mjg3

Quote from: floating doc on September 25, 2013, 03:46:16 AM
Hi Mike. Welcome aboard!  Where are you fishing? I'm in the same area.
playlinda beach mainly but south to sabastian !

mjg3

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 25, 2013, 04:08:23 AM
What do you mean by "has done them both?" Could you give some specifics on what's wrong with the reels?
If you're not comfortable working on them, to bring them up a notch, put them in a flat rate box and send them over.
You'll pay for all shipping costs and parts. If you need them back soon, don't bother.
Did that person give you an estimate of the cost? It's really not that bad....it could be, but there is no need to go all the way. I do, but I'm crazy ;D
Sal
the older of the 2 seem to have a skip in t no matter how tight the drag is. and the clicker is now gone. the second the newer model was hit hard by some thing and it got all the way down into the braid before we got to it! well now the drag seem to tighten its self up with out touching the star when  its getting pulled against no matter how tight or loose you set it!!

Cone

The clicker is a cheap and easy fix. the drags are also an easy fix. It sounds like the drag stack on the one has the washers in the wrong order. The skip you refer to. when does it happen? It's possible it could be the gears but you refer to the drag? Can you explain what is going on a little better? We would like to see you back fishing.  Bob