Senator Handle Nuts Loosening

Started by Shark Hunter, September 26, 2013, 07:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

When I got back from my Fishing Trip. I noticed my 12/0 handle nut had loosened. Not a big deal. I caught My Big Shark on it, so I considered it normal. After removing the line from some other reels and just checking the overall condition, I noticed another 9/0 nut had loosened, and I didn't even fish this one. is this normal? I was thinking, maybe from bringing them in the A/C from the heat repeatedly would do this? They tightened right back up. any one else have issues with this? I use one of Alan's wrenches, so I know they were tight to begin with.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

You should have a handle nut locking screw that screws in the handle are to prevent the nut from backing off.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

the gear sleeves are brass, right?  so is the handle arm.  two soft metals.  not a surprise......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Sounds like the lock screws are gone
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Lock screws are in place Gentlemen. I wouldn't be questioning this, if they weren't.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

On the stainless steel handles the head on the lock screw is larger than Penn's. Check and see if that's it, using one of Penn's on those would be useless.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I have the original handles on these Sal. I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem. I am afraid to crank them too tight with Alan's wrench and stripping the sleeve. I took the lock screw out and tightened them down good. They aren't stripped. I just went to the next notch on the nut.
Life is Good!

Keta

Check and see if the gear sleeve is rounded.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Everyone is overthinking this. I just wanted to know if this has happened to any one else. I have no issues with the reels. They have been completely gone through. The set screws are in the original handles and the sleeve is not rounded. I guess I just should have went to the next notch to begin with. after fishing or transporting, I guess they came loose because I didn't make them real tight afraid of stripping the sleeve and took the handle nut notch that was available. Like Alan said, Two soft metals.
(I don't mean to sound snippy! ;))
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

It's always a good idea tightening the star all the way before installing the handle, you probably already know this. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Just use ALOT of red lotctite. Then send your reel to sal for servicing ;D :o
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 27, 2013, 02:18:21 AM
It's always a good idea tightening the star all the way before installing the handle, you probably already know this. :-\

I did not Sal. I just make sure it is below the threads. Not necessarily locked down. ;)
I think I'll skip the Loc tite Grayson. Although, I'm sure Sal would help me out if I needed him. ;D
He's just that type of guy. Paying it forward. A little lesson he taught me. ;)
Life is Good!

triumphrick

I service about 60 Penn 113H for a local party boat.

I get about ten reels at a time from them, and usually have one reel with a loose handle.

Both the handle nut as well as the set screw are always in place.

Shark Hunter

Nature of the Beast!
Thank You triumphrick! ;D
Life is Good!

saltydog

On my charter boat i used to get one of those every now and then, and it was probably just me not getting it tight enough,to much zin after a hard days work ,or was it the burbon.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur