Daytona Red Snappers

Started by Newell Nut, September 30, 2013, 04:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

The population of these snappers is really growing and big ones like this are caught quite often but have to be released since we only had a 3 day season this year. Hoping for more days next year.

Dynamo

Tasty! Why the three day season? That's measly.......

Newell Nut

The numbers did get low so I think about 5 years ago they closed the Carolinas down through Fl. The biologist was on the boat that day this fish was caught and he said it was 7 to 9 years old. They are trying to increased the population age because the older fish lay a lot more eggs which of course raises numbers. This size is hard to get off the bottom. If you hook one like this flat lining the Newell 332 works great but a bottom hook up needs a 540 3.2 or a 4/0 penn. When you hook over 30 you really have a fight on your hands from the bottom.

Dynamo

Well i'm glad the population is making a comeback!

otownjoe

broschro

love me some snapper
i got this one on the flat line grunt,on the gls 45

my bud steve got this one on the bottom,it fought so hard we thought it was a shark.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Newell Nut

The forecast to 2 to 3 ft tomorrow so fuel up and go get a couple nice tugs. They dearly live a whole squid flat lining and on bottom.

Dynamo

maxpowers

beautiful fish...

quick question:  When you guys mentioned flat lining a bait, is it similar to what west coaster called fly-lining a bait, ie, casting out a bait with very little or no weight?

Thanks

broschro

Quote from: maxpowers on October 01, 2013, 07:55:27 AM
beautiful fish...

quick question:  When you guys mentioned flat lining a bait, is it similar to what west coaster called fly-lining a bait, ie, casting out a bait with very little or no weight?

Thanks
thats it. works good for all kind's of fish.

Newell Nut

You did not miss much today. All that wind over the weekend got the water dirty. Sea bass and triggers were caught and one cobia off the bottom and it was not on my hook either. Bummer!

wallacewt

lovely fish
here in oz we fish the same way
small round sinker right on the hook,just enough to float the bait down in the berley (chum)trail
we call it "floaters"
cheers.

broschro

Quote from: Newell Nut on October 01, 2013, 09:59:40 PM
You did not miss much today. All that wind over the weekend got the water dirty. Sea bass and triggers were caught and one cobia off the bottom and it was not on my hook either. Bummer!
I love sea bass and trigger fish sorry to hear you didn't catch anything though.going to give it a go on Friday possibly may run out to the deeper water.j

floating doc

Nice fish! Thanks for posting.  I was supposed to go to Destin next weekend but didn't get the time off. That's not going to get better.  They hired another doctor to help carry the load. He resigned last week.

These 65 hour weeks are wearing me out. When I get a day off I'm too far behind on everything else and too tired to care.
Central Florida