Oct 3rd. Tile fish trip.

Started by jiggingworld, October 04, 2013, 05:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggingworld

Fished on Atlantic star Oct 3rd. Thanks Mike from Peace Token Tackle for arrange the charter.

We started fish around 400ft water, once the sun come up, fish stared chewing. Once I got plenty meat in my cooler, I started jigging with 500g glow jig. had 3 gray line tile and 1 golden tile. once we moved to deeper water around 1:00PM, fishing were very slow, boat only got 2 small golden tiles on rest of the trip. Capt tried so hard to find fish, my friend Jim blame me for slow fishing as Every single time when I go tile fishing, big tiles not biting. ???

Lucky bird, the angler with this rod got pool fish.

Yong.

saltydog

Great pic I love those fish, great eating.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

bluefish69

I miss Mike when he was in NY I was there often. That was jam packed little shop. I know I can order from him but it won't be the same.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

conchydong

Very nice. Golden tiles are closed until January 01, 2014 in my area. Can't wait to get back at them.

jiggingworld

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 04, 2013, 06:21:17 PM
I miss Mike when he was in NY I was there often. That was jam packed little shop. I know I can order from him but it won't be the same.

Mike

Mike moved his shop to Cape May this march. store is 5 times bigger than before.

bluefish69

One of these days I will take the 2 1/2 Hr ride to see his shop. I like eating at the Lobster House so it will be a double.

Mike

wallacewt

good stuff,
except for the fins they could pass for amberjack or samson fish

jiggingworld

Quote from: wallacewt on October 04, 2013, 10:47:22 PM
good stuff,
except for the fins they could pass for amberjack or samson fish

I love jigging AJs,  I never pay attention about fins, sure this golden have nice fins...

bluefish69

Only if you give it mouth to mouth + CPR

conchydong

Quote from: mrbrklyn on October 05, 2013, 10:09:45 PM
When you pull a fish from this depth, it wouldn't seem to make sense to throw it back.  Can any fish survive that trip?

It depends on the species. Swordfish, for example, caught on or near the bottom in 2000' have no problems. Most bottom fish with swim bladders will not survive the barotrauma even with the best deep water release methods. That is why some of the fishery laws need to be revised. I hate throwing back fish that are sure to die.

Ron Jones

I watched the biggest yellow eye I've ever caught or seen be pecked to pieces by seagulls. Some fishery laws are stupid.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jiggingworld

Quote from: mrbrklyn on October 05, 2013, 10:09:45 PM
When you pull a fish from this depth, it wouldn't seem to make sense to throw it back.  Can any fish survive that trip?

no. throw backs.

no fish survive.

but a lot people enjoy them.

yong

Steve-O

I have caught Tile fish off the Carolina Coast in deep water. The first one that came up the Captain got very excited and said I just caught " the Money Fish!". He then explained the quality of table fare that Tile Fish are. Poor Man's Lobster was what he used to describe them. That was way back in the day before the current successes in the Lobster fisheries brought the prices way down on the claw fish.  No need to toss any of them back ....just observe the regs on limits then move off of them to target another species.

saltydog

The fishery laws need some real work, the Gulf is full of red snapper but were only allowed 2 10 day openings to catch 4 fish a day. Heck if you just stopped commercial fishing then that would end the problem. We don't even get those fish in the market here they all go overseas, the only red snapper you find in the market here is caught overseas, go figure it is all about the money.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

conchydong

Quote from: Steve-O on October 07, 2013, 05:09:58 PM
  No need to toss any of them back ....just observe the regs on limits then move off of them to target another species.

Easier said then done. If we target other deep water species such as Barrel fish or Black belly rosefish in the areas under the jurisdiction of the SAFMC we still can catch Golden tiles and Snowy groupers as bycatch. Because you cannot retain these species at all, they must be thrown back to die.
Here is a nice tile caught in season.