Black Marlin from kayak

Started by Kau Grown, October 07, 2013, 06:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kau Grown

Quote from: mrbrklyn on October 08, 2013, 03:09:05 AM
how did you get the picture?  Is this National Geographic?

No, I had a friend that was following me with his cam, he got so damn close to get footage that he almost took a bill to the chest! CRAZY!!! I have 2 cams on my yak and he was holding his cam.

here's a few pics from my cam.

Check out my pro athlete page on FB for more action!
"Rob Wong Yuen - Pro Kayak Angler"
Tours:Extreme808Kayak@gmail.com

Bryan Young

I can see this video gonna make you famous like Isaac and his shark. :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Kau Grown

few more....

Kau Grown

and a few more...

Kau Grown

got it on board!  ;D

Kau Grown

I get to do it all while yak fishing... Captain, Deck hand, Motor, Angler and Photographer! hahaha I LOVE IT!!! Mahalo guys!

HOLEINTHEWATER

THOSE ARE GREAT PICTURES. THANKS A LOT FOR THE POST. ALMOST MAKE ME FELL LIKE I'M THERE.

nelz

Awesome. Breathtaking. Amazing. WOW!  :o

Kau Grown

hey guys! thanks! I'm still working on the editing and I'm very slow at that so please bare with me... BUT I did get back out today and had another awesome day!!! Paddled out before the sun came up and hooked some bait, paddled a few miles down the coast to get to the grounds and tossed out a bait. A few minutes later my PENN 16vs starts screaming and I look back and see a nice 25-30 Mahi jumping, but after a few jumps my hooks pop loose and it's gone. A little frustrated I toss out another bait and start to paddle back to where I lost the mahi, not even a minute later my rod starts bouncing and a little line rips out of my reel. It felt really light so I thought that I hooked another mahi until it gets almost to leader and dives straight down like a rocket!! It dumped 200 yards of line out so quick and  started to slow down a lil until it ripped out another 100 yards before it stopped. I have a little over 600 yards of 80 pound braid on my 16 so I wasn't really to worried about it spooling me, but I had 60 pound leader on that reel and it was the same leader that I fought the marlin with. I was praying that it would hold and not snap because I knew that I was hooked to a nice size ahi (yellow fin tuna)  I buttoned up the drag a little more to get some of that line back on the reel. The fight lasted 22 minutes with runs going up and down a few times to 240 feet before I got my spear and gaff in it, that's pretty good figuring that the previous ahi's I fought lasted way over half an hour. But it was still a very hard upper body fight! No resting and always keeping the pressure on. I got it up on my yak and paddled 3 miles back to the launch, I was lucky that the current was in my favor so the journey back wasn't that bad. I new it was close to a 100 pounds so I took it to the fish market and it weighed in at 104.7, I feel very blessed and lucky to have caught 2 monsters within a weeks time and I thank god for helping me battle these fish and keeping me safe while doing it! Thank you all for the awesome replies and very kind words! Here's a few pics of todays catch.

Aloha, rob

Kau Grown

Here's a few more...

Dominick

Kau:  I shuddered when I saw your leg in a pool of tuna blood.  Man keep your feet in the boat.  That is a shark attractant.  I am enjoying your posts.  I can't wait for the black marlin video.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

john2244

Another great catch!!!  Thanks for posting.
John

Bryan Young

Robbie, you are an amazing fisherman.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Good Job Rob!
You always impress Brudah! ;)
Life is Good!

HOLEINTHEWATER

ANOTHER GREAT ONE. YOUR THE MAN.