Reel Resources

Started by Tommy_Tuna, April 01, 2010, 06:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy_Tuna

Is there a reel repair & maintenance book available?  Alan's posts are most helpful, but if he were to put reel basics into book form, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,

Tom

CarolinaCustomReels

I'd be very interested in this as well. I generally have my laptop in the shop and I open up Alan's tutorials if I'm working on a reel that I'm unfamiliar with. I find that a lot of his stuff in the "General Procedures" sub-forum is a great collection of useful tips, tricks and info.

Another thing that I'd be very interested in is a full collection of reel parts for all the major companies (Penn, Shimano, Accurate, Daiwa, Abu Garcia, Avet) including source reel(s), part number and a photo. Kind of like a reel repairer's version of the Physician Desk Reference. Occasionally I'll open up a reel or look at a schematic and think that a picture of the stock part would be incredibly helpful. I've started building a library like this using online parts catalogs, eBay listings and photos of reel internals that have come across my bench but it is not anywhere near being complete.

Evan

wish I was fishing

I've not read these but they may be of use??

How to Start a Reel Repair Business by Jeffery Holder
Fishing Reel Care and Maintenance 101 by Jeff Holder

Available on Amazon and probably elsewhere too

I'm sure someone on here will have read them and may be able to comment further?

Dave
Nothing makes a fish BIGGER than almost being caught! .

Bryan Young

Quote from: wish I was fishing on April 02, 2010, 09:15:10 AM
I've not read these but they may be of use??

How to Start a Reel Repair Business by Jeffery Holder
Fishing Reel Care and Maintenance 101 by Jeff Holder

Available on Amazon and probably elsewhere too

I'm sure someone on here will have read them and may be able to comment further?

Dave

I think he has a website as well.  What was it...ah, here it is.  http://www.reelschematic.com/.  Here is a link to a preview of his book http://www.reelschematic.com/content/view/381/.

He also sells a CD or DVD with thousands of reel schematics (that you can download for free) if you know where to look...http://alantani.com/index.php?board=15.0.

I'm gonna look at my library to see if they have the book(s).

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tommy_Tuna

I almost bought Holder's book. Since I am completely unaware of reel maintenance, I would love to see a book with the opening chapter identifying necessary equipment for reel maintenance such as grease required for specific applications and basic tools. Then I'd like to see chapters on major reel manufacturers; i.e., Penn, Daiwa, etc. and maintenance for their single and two speed models.  An appendix could include diagrams.

Alan, it appears you have most of this stuff already. Maybe you might want to check with a publishing house to determine whether a market exists. I know you will sell at least one book!

Thanks,

Tommy

alantani

you know, i'd make a lousy salesman.  the skill required is the ability to separate a person from his money.  never did like that. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tommy_Tuna

Alan,

Another way of looking at this is just compensation for talent and effort.

I eagerly separate myself from my money if I believe I am getting my money's worth!

Good luck,

Tom

CarolinaCustomReels

Alan, if you ever published a book I'd buy a copy for using and another copy to keep around as backup.

You pretty much have everything you'd need right here on the site. The General Maintenance thread as the first chapter, along with your bearing cleaning info and tool rundown. Then separate sections with your rebuild tutorials, organized by either reel type or manufacturer.

But if that kind of thing made it into a large number of tackle shops, you might put some of us out of business!  :D :D

Evan

alantani

there are just too many new reels coming out.  a printed work would be out of date before it even hit the shelves. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

Quote from: alantani on April 09, 2010, 01:36:35 AM
there are just too many new reels coming out.  a printed work would be out of date before it even hit the shelves. 
forget the book.stay as u are.free,beautiful family,good boat or is that good family beautiful boat,what ever,good-on-yah al.

akfish

Sorry, but I have to say this: My personal view is that the Holder book, Reel Repair 101, is pretty bad. There are some errors -- look at the pictures of the Jigmaster he is rebuilding! -- and very little that's useful to even the beginning novice. Alan's stuff is much, much better. I have not seen his book on starting a reel repair business, but my guess is that unless you live in an area with lots of lodges and charter boats (as I do) making a living in the reel repair business is pretty tough.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

wish I was fishing

I wasn't recommending those books just aware there were out there
In my opinion this forum is all you need, a book is great but you can't
beat a forum like this if you get stuck there is Alan or someone else who can talk you through it
without making you feel stupid even if there is an obvious solution
Nothing makes a fish BIGGER than almost being caught! .

Bryan Young

Quote from: wish I was fishing on April 09, 2010, 05:31:16 PM
I wasn't recommending those books just aware there were out there
In my opinion this forum is all you need, a book is great but you can't
beat a forum like this if you get stuck there is Alan or someone else who can talk you through it
without making you feel stupid even if there is an obvious solution

I don't think any of us were implying that you were recommending this book, but sharing the knowledge and experiences.  Isn't that what life's about...oh yeah, and fishing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

franky

Quote from: Tommy_Tuna on April 01, 2010, 06:08:12 PM
Is there a reel repair & maintenance book available?  Alan's posts are most helpful, but if he were to put reel basics into book form, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,

Tom

Why would you need a book?  This site is all you need.  It is full of detailed information, pictures  :), interactive comments/suggestions, and things that you can order and buy.  

IMO...if you read a book and you're stuck...You're done! ??? No one to talk to...mucho frustrations...Trust me, been there...done that... >:( ???

This site has active dicussions and comments that brings true life experiences, tips, tricks, short cuts, and clarifications unlike a book.

Dude, tap into the discussions...raise a few questions, and you're good to go.  This site ROCKS!!! ;D