New guy from FL

Started by Settin_hooks, October 11, 2013, 08:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Settin_hooks

I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Jeff and like many others I stumbled across the forum from reputation :). I've been working on a couple reels lately, "been doing a lot of fishing on the flats here in titusville, FL."  A couple weeks ago my girl tossed one of my spinners in the water so I've been tinkering with it ever since.  I also have an old stradic4000 I want to attempt to rebuild.  So I figured why not join up and try to learn a few things from some knowledgeable members.  I have a few questions already but I figured I would start with an introduction.  Cheers ;D

Newell Nut

Welcome aboard. I am just north of you in Daytona and Jamie is up in St Augustine. You can get spinner help here for sure but not from me. I am one of the Newell nuts and we lots of Penn nuts here too. Have fun with us.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

welcome to the "neighborhood"...

erikpowell

Bula from Fiji Jeff !
Can't help ya much with spinners either.. i send all mine to the repair shop  ;D ;D ;D

Bryan Young

Welcome Settin_Hook.  I'm sure there is someone here that can help you out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

You are in the right place!
Welcome! ;D
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: erikpowell on October 11, 2013, 08:49:20 PM
Bula from Fiji Jeff !
Can't help ya much with spinners either.. i send all mine to the repair shop  ;D ;D ;D

Bula Jeff from Dominick in San Mateo, California.  I met Erik once at Alan's garage and a Mexican restaurant.  He was enthusiastic about Fijians and their greeting of "Bula."  I sometimes use it. Fiji is on my bucket list. I know this thread is not about me so bula again.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

erikpowell

anytime Dom, anytime  ;)   Vinaka !  (thank you)

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Settin_hooks

Thanks for the warm welcome!  ;D
I know some of you are not big on spinners but maybe you guys can help me out with this question.  I just recently picked up 2 Shimano sustains, 2500&4000's and I was wondering the best way to maintain them to extend their life?  So far, "have about 6 trips out with them."  I've been lightly misting with fresh water when I get home and hand drying.  Then putting a drop of reel-x on line roller, both bearings in handle and 2 drops in maintenance port, every other trip or so.  To much?  I had my sahara for almost 2 years before it started giving me issues and that was after being tossed off into the salt lol..  All I did was rinse that every trip, it was actually a very good little reel for the price and caught me some nice fish.  Thanks for any advice or tips you guys have.  I just want to make sure I take care of my new ones the best I can.

Bill B

Welcome from the left coast....I have tinkered with spinners...they can use the same basic maintenance as conventionals... a good coat of grease in the gearbox and light coat of oil on the exposed bearings will go a long way...some spinners have soft screws use appropriate drivers to remove....greased drag washers will smooth out the drags and watch the bushing on the bail an make sure it doesnt have any nicks that can abrade your line...but we all like pictures...hope this helps....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dynamo

alantani

jeff, glad to have you here!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

floating doc

Welcome aboard! Good to have another Floridian. I'm in Volusia county.
Central Florida

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono