Question about ultrasonic sonic cleaner

Started by beezy, October 12, 2013, 01:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beezy

Hi Guys,

I have a question for you that have owned and used an ultrasonic cleaner.  I recently purchased one from Harbor Freight to do a thorough cleaning job of my reels.  It works magnificently but I do have a question regarding discoloring some metal parts, namely the pinion gear and drive gear.  I put in my drive gear from my shimano curado 300DSV which was originally golden yellow in color into the ultrasonic cleaner.  When it came out, the drive gear changed color to a brownish color.  Is this normal?

Pro Reel

Yes, it's just a tarnish. I'm sure some sientist could explain it. It's probably a rapid tarnish due to the oxidation of micro air bubbles hitting the brass, or someting to do with the efffects of the cleaner solution. Anyway, it's just discolored, doesn't hurt it a bit.

Zimbass

It's only on the brass gears that this will happen, and only if the water temp is too high. I run at 35 degrees C for 10 minutes. If I increase this to 15 minutes the brass loses it's sheen and becomes tarnished. Limit the run time and temperature and it will not occur.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

beezy

My ultrasonic cleaner only runs for 3 minutes then automatically turns off.  I'm assuming that the issue has to do with the hot water.  As long as this cleaning doesn't affect the brass gears in any significant way then I'm fine.  Thanks guys.

Bill B

Careful with the Ultra sonic cleaner...I remember someone here used it on some anodized aluminum parts, I think, left it on overnite resulting in bad things happening....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Pro Reel

Quote from: TARFU on October 12, 2013, 05:27:55 PM
Careful with the Ultra sonic cleaner...I remember someone here used it on some anodized aluminum parts, I think, left it on overnite resulting in bad things happening....

That can happen, never run them for more than a few minutes without checking the parts. I ran some ambassaduer sideplates and forgot about them for a bit, 30 minutes later they were not red anymore.

aus bass

Do not leave your items in the Ultra sonic cleaner for any significant length of time. I have a maximum use of 10mins for most things, even heavily built up gunky parts. Just clean them quickly with an old tooth brush and dunk them in the ultra sonic machine for 10 mins.

Yes brass can some out "speckled". not sure why but it doesn't affect the brass at all.
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".