Penn Squall SQL50LW

Started by Potomac Hooker, November 01, 2013, 09:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Potomac Hooker

Penn Squall SQL50LW

Just got two of these delivered yesterday. Could not pass up the deal I found.

Looks to be reasonably well built for a Penn. Getting ready to tear it apart and have a look see at the guts to see how easy it will be to maintain.

If there is anything specific anyone would like me to grab a pic of inside post here and I'll look at doing that for you.

Penn Squall Level Wind Reels

Penn Squall Level Wind Reels are intended to be successors to the proven GT reels, but with a few upgrades. Penn has added an Infinite Anti Reverse bearing, Line Capacity Rings, and their Versa-Handle. And a machined brass main gear mates to a high strength stainless steel pinion gear, giving the reel a perfect combination of strength and smoothness.•Lightweight graphite frame and sideplates
•Forged and machined aluminum spool
•High-strength marine grade bronze alloy main gear
•Stainless steel pinion gear
•HT-100 carbon fiber drag washers
•2+1 Shielded stainless steel bearing system
•Instant Anti-Reverse bearing with silent back up ratchet
•Line Capacity Rings
•Left-hand models: SQL20LWLH & SQL30LWLH
•Line Counter model: SQL20LWLC

http://www.pennreels.com/products/reels/conventional-reels/level-wind-reels/squall

No dear, that is not reel grease on your clean towels. (whistle)

:) Jeff

Tile

You can do a full tutorial on one of them - this would be extremely useful. The aluminum rings need to be greased on their inside surface to prevent corrosion.
In solid fiberglass we trust

floating doc

I have a couple of questions about these.  How robust is the anti reverse?  It seems to me that the trend towards silent anti reverse in a lot of the more modern reels has resulted in some pretty serious design flaws.

Also,  are the frames strong enough for higher drag settings,  like 15+ pounds?
Central Florida

Tile

The frames may hold well for 15lbs of drag. Alan pushed a 320 GT2 to 20lbs and the maingear started stripping and the frame was OK. The antireverse problem can be corrected by adding a spring to the antireverse dog to ensure absolutely no slippages ( in a similar fashion to what was done to a Defiance).
In solid fiberglass we trust

Potomac Hooker

Guys I went through them kinda fast already and already put them on the boat. They are geared up and ready to roll.

Once Rockfish season starts slowing down I'll be bringing them back to the house and giving them another go through and will try to take my time and do a decent write up with pictures.
No dear, that is not reel grease on your clean towels. (whistle)

:) Jeff

Tightlines667

Just finished a quick service on a SQL50LD single speed.  It was pretty straight forward.  The drag disc was not glued to the spool on this reel.  Not a fan of the Antireverse dogs on this reel though.  Here are the dimensions on the 2-thrust bearing assemblies (3piece), in case anyone is considering trying to adapt this stock part to a different reel model in need of them.  15mmX7mmX4.8mm (OD/ID/h)

Sorry I wasn't able to do a full tutorial here, time constraints.  It's pretty straight forward, just follow one of the other SQL tutorials or Videos.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.