ROD BELTS?

Started by LTM, November 06, 2013, 03:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Another gear selection question for you guys. What rod belts do you guys use for various line weights, and what are your experience's and opinions about them? As you may suspect, Im retooling of sorts for next fishing season. In the past Ive had various rod belts for different line classes for light to medium line weights to heavy trolling belts. All input will be appreciated. I also carry all the time a rubber type of device that I put on the butt-end of my rods for when I dont think I'll need a rod belt specifically but need one so I dont get brused-up when I get into an unexpected protracted fight with a big fish.

All comments welcome,

Leo

Bunnlevel Sharker

I use a cheap walmart belt for 90% of every thing! for long fights I like my Calcutta shoulder harness. If I could have any harness it would be a smitty or black magic
Grayson Lanier

Keta

For heavy gear I have a Smitty belt and plate but usually use the rail.  For lighter gear I use a Braid Manta and Scotty Hammer Heads.  I've had to modify my Smitty plate due to my knee damage but Smitty was more than helpful when I visited their home (75 miles west of me and 5 miles from Jerry Brown's house) and talked it over.

Here's a photo of a plate I bent on a cow YFT.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I use an Aftco Max Force harness and a Tsunami fighting belt. They are holding up good so far. I am by no means cheap. I just think the Black Magic and Smitty's are way overpriced for what you get. $100 for the Aftco Harness and $35 for the belt.
I use this set up for 12 and 14/0's with 130 lb mono. They are too heavy when a big Shark is pulling on the other end.
Life is Good!

SoCalAngler

For big fish I have a Braid Power Play plate and harness. If I was looking to replace it, I like Shark Hunter, like the Aftco Max Force harness with the Clarion plate but I don't fish big tuna much any more from LR boats and when I do like Keta I'd most likely use the rail. Under 50 lb test I use a old....really old padded leather day type belt. This belt is so old the leather belt portion fell apart leaving the pad and cup. I replaced it with a nylon belt about ten years ago. For me under 50 lb test I see no need for a pin for the rods with gimbals but others like them. If you go with a day type belt with a gimbal pin try to get a model that has a easy non tool gimbal pin removal system.

Bunnlevel Sharker

I have a plate that came with my shoulder harness, it stays at the house. My belt cost 15 bucks at walmart, i took the pin out. It has landed plenty of nice fish, i even loaned it to a 12yr old girl to catch her first tarpon! I pulled the pin on it. Until youve got to try on a smitty, there is no comparison. Extremely comfortable and the belt is amazing
Grayson Lanier

LTM

Thanx guys for the comments so far. Your personal experiences is a big help, keep the comments coming. Lee, what is that black thing your holding in your hand in your first photo? If its what I think it is please give details and your assessment of how well it works or not.

Leo

Keta

I call them Butt Heads but they are Scotty Hammer Heads.  I keep 2 handy and slip them over the rod butt when needed.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

floating doc

I just bottom fish. Most people don't use belts, but I like one.  I have a Braid belt with a molded in pin that's about 30 years old. It was the only one Braid made at the time.
Central Florida

LTM

Lee, the hammer head is similar to the rubber-like foam thingy that I have but more substantial. The thingy that I have is bulkier, how comfortable is the hammer head and approx how much was it?

Leo

Bunnlevel Sharker

I'm not sure about his but some of the guys I fish with use them theirs are pretty comfortable i like the rod hukas better though they cost more. The butt heads are about 15 at a local tackle shop, a rod huka is about 40
Grayson Lanier

Keta

Quote from: LTM on November 06, 2013, 07:27:18 PM
Lee, the hammer head is similar to the rubber-like foam thingy that I have but more substantial. The thingy that I have is bulkier, how comfortable is the hammer head and approx how much was it?

Leo

They are comfortable, I was given the ones I have by a friend that is a Scotty rep.

Mark Twain

Three se7ens

I've been using a cheap bass pro rod belt to land the last few big sharks, but I'll be picking up an aftco maxforce harness before I go out again.  The last 9 foot tiger I landed took me an hour at 25 lbs of drag.  I was beat after that...

Shark Hunter

You will like the Maxforce. I think its the best deal out there. It is quality. The only thing I recommend is replacing the rod clips with the hooks that are provided. The clips can't take the heat, and the hooks are much easier to deal with.
Life is Good!

Aiala

I need to purchase a rod belt for my upcoming 4-day this summer, and I'm thinking Braid's Sailfish Belt (around $50) might be a good fit. On the other hand, if/when I start going on longer trips targeting bigger fish, I might need something more robust, like Braid's $100 Brute Buster, and I'd rather not spend the bucks on two belts... a quandary. What would y'all suggest? Light, medium or heavy?   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D