Hello, Jeff from Southern Maryland here.

Started by Potomac Hooker, November 03, 2013, 08:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Potomac Hooker

Figured I would say hello to all. Found the site a couple weeks ago as I was getting ready to tear into about 40 reels. My stepfather has accumulated a good collection of used reels over the years and I put my foot in my mouth and volunteered to tear all of them apart and clean, inspect and lube everything.

He isn't much on doing such things. He is more of a use it till it goes and go find another kinda guy, where as I actually enjoy doing this kinda stuff.

The site has been a great resource for me as I have never done this sort of thing myself and with the help of this site and a couple of the parts breakdown sites I found referenced here, I have been able to tear all his reals down and get them squared away. Have a couple I need to replace the drag washers on but I just put them back together for the time being a made notes and once I finish the general cleaning and lubing then I'll backtrack and replace those. That way I can have a list of all parts needed and order all at the same time.

I fish mostly at the mouth of the Potomac River where it meets the Chesapeake Bay here in MD. Plus we head out into the bay kinda often.

Anyway, Hello to all and thank you Alan and everyone for what you have done here. Likely saved me a bucket of money.
No dear, that is not reel grease on your clean towels. (whistle)

:) Jeff

BMITCH

Welcome Jeff, you'll like it here. Good luck with those 40 reels.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Cone

Welcome! Let him use them and find another. The one he tosses should go your way.  ;) Maybe you can change his mind after he sees how well they work afterward.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Potomac Hooker

Quote from: Cone on November 04, 2013, 12:14:25 AM
Welcome! Let him use them and find another. The one he tosses should go your way.  ;) Maybe you can change his mind after he sees how well they work afterward.  Bob

LOL No I am trying to keep him married to my mother LOL. He married her a couple years ago and was used to not having a wife holding the checkbook. She would make a skid mark in her bloomers if he bought new reels when he won't take care of what he already has. LOL We go out on his boat and I got tired of trying to fish with reels whose handles would not turn worth a dang or the bail would only turn over if you helped it. So I figured I would go through them all for him. I don't mind, learned a lot already and was able to get my son to sit down and do a few as well. Good Stuff

I had to fuss at him a little bit. He buys freshwater spinning reels for saltwater and I made him help do all the ones that had screws corroded so bad you could not get a screwdriver into them as well as the ones where the  danged metal washers in the drag stacks had corroded and basically rusted and bonded right to the shaft. So I think he knows not to buy cheap freshwater stuff anymore cause he knows I'll make him do those. LOL

All of the ones done so far work like a champ. Only have 2 left of his to do then I get to start on mine. Mine won't be bad as they are all brand new. LOL

Then I get to look into teaching myself basic rod repair. ;D

Alto Mare

Welcome Jeff! From what I hear, you're at the right spot for some nice fishing, I fished at the mouth of the Elk river and Susquehanna flats for a couple of years. Enjoy your stay.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

It sounds like you wouldn't have to change his mind. Your Mom would.  ;)  ;D I don't let my wife know how much I spend on reels either.  :D  I don't go shopping with her. She circles every rack in the store no matter what she came to buy. They all go to the same wife school.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bluefish69

Jeff

Your in the right place for some great Tog Fishing. I'm up here in Queens N.Y.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Potomac Hooker

Thanks for the welcome folks.

Stepfather has given me so many reels to work on now that I spend several hours a day on this site. Thanks one and all for what you do here. I hope to pitch in and help at some point. And maybe do a few pictorals. Just right now it's awkward enough for me to figure out what I am doing, being a novice. Getting it though. ;)