How do I get more drag from a penn 14/0

Started by Hunter, November 15, 2013, 11:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

I have been told by many people that it is possible to upgrade the drag on a Penn 14/0 to between 50lb and 80lbs, and I would like to know if it is true and how to do it. If some one could tell me what I need I would really appreciate it.

Shark Hunter

I'm guessing about 40lbs should be stock with a 7 stack of HT-100's. I have four of these and I think that is plenty to stop a big Shark.
With 1000 yards of 130lb test, I prefer to wear the fish out with about 25lbs. It is easier on you. If I can't turn him, I will crank it down more, but 40lbs of drag from the beach is a lot.
Life is Good!

Makule

Depending on whether you have CF disks, just changing those alone should help to increase the possible drag.

While I haven't tried it, I'm sure it's possible to increase the number of drag disks using thinner metal washers.  I don't know where you might get such washers, but someone on this Forum may be able to help.

For what it's worth, I'm with Shark Hunter (even though I don't hunt sharks).  I've not had an issue with the 14/0 drag not having enough stopping power.  Even on a very powerful screamer, with the initial drag at about 35 lb., cranking the drag down a bit was sufficient to stop the fish.  The rod was anchored in the rocks at shore, and I doubt that anyone could have held that rod for the length of time the fish was on, given the amount of pressure on the rod.  Even trying to pull the line in with gloved hands was almost impossible.  The reel did not fail and there was plenty more drag if it was needed.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bunnlevel Sharker

My 12/0 has 55 stock, your 14/0 should be already hittng that range with stock ht-100
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

I think the 12/0 has a about 35lb stock with a Ht-100 7 stack. Unless you have some secret upgrade Grayson, 35lbs is pushing it.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

My scale maxes at 50, it was maxed out at full lockdown. Still pulled off smooth to.
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

I'm not calling you out Grayson, but I think you need a better scale. I have 6, 12/0s now and none of them can pull more than 35lbs. They all have new 7 stack Ht-100's with new washers from scotts. Since the 12/0 is still being made and the 14/0 recently went back in to production. The penn website says max drag on a 12 is 30 lbs and 35lbs on the 14/0.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

If Grayson's drags are not lubed it would increase his max drag numbers. Either way, 35 pounds of drag is a lot. I'd wager it is enough for anything that doesn't need to be kept out of structure.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Good point Ron. If the drags aren't lubed, they will be toast in short time. I doubt Grayson would have done that. Maybe he is testing it as he got it with whatever drags are in it. That would explain the 55lbs.
In tip top shape, with everything lubed, 30 to 35 lbs is all you are going to get out of a 12/0.
That is enough to winch in some seriously big fish with the line capacity this awesome reel has and that is all I want to hold onto from the beach. ;)
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

when my drags are buttoned down and i want more drag, i start using the THUMB BRAKE !!! :P
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Alto Mare

I don't know how effective your thumb would be on that monster Dabigono  :-\.

We could double the drag #'s  on a 10/0  to 16/0, but we already have too much going on at the moment. I will definitely do it, but at a later time ....stay tuned ;)  ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

When Sal gets done with it you better have eight fingers and two thumbs wrapped around the rod plus a harness and a seat belt. ;D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Newell Nut on November 16, 2013, 01:22:08 PM
When Sal gets done with it you better have eight fingers and two thumbs wrapped around the rod plus a harness and a seat belt. ;D
;D ;D ;D, All I did was to answer his question, I never mentioned anything about fishing with it, that will be up to him ;D.
That reel should be smooth like butter at its original max numbers. As I said above, we're not doing it now, me and Lee are still working on it. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I can't hold much more than 35lb for any length of time unless I have a boat rail to assist me.  Last night I was testing my hex drag 114H with one of my heavy bent butt rods using my heavy belt and plate and it was hard to pull 35lbs, close to the max for this reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

When you say hard to pull 35lbs. how where you doing it? I was able to pull 55lbs., the 80 test mono snapped three times by the nut at the same settings. 35lbs. is not maxed when you use hex cut washers, it's more like 55lbs.
As I mentioned a few times earlier, this isn't about fishing the reel at those numbers, having that much more drag makes it a much smoother reel at 30lbs.
If any can't hold on to 30lbs., time to try fly fishing ;) ;D.