How do I get more drag from a penn 14/0

Started by Hunter, November 15, 2013, 11:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I was using my rod, belt and plate leaning into it.

I know I can get more but 35lb is more than I plan on using with this reel, especially with the cast plastic side plates it has.  I might untarp my boat and try it with the rod in a rod holder.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

I'm going now to cover mine, I thought I was going to take it out a couple of times :(.
BTW, my scale stops at 55lbs, I'm guessing you'll get over 55lbs. with those.
The good thing about this is that you can control the drag numbers by stacking the same 5 washers in different combinations, to give you different numbers.....just like the versa drags.
You could make that reel a 20# or 40# very easily.

Check page # 6 here:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6517.0
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 16, 2013, 03:59:41 PM
The good thing about this is that you can control the drag numbers by stacking the same 5 washers in different combinations, to give you different numbers.....just like the versa drags.
You could make that reel a 20# or 40# very easily.

Check page # 6 here:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6517.0

I'd need to get a open drag side plate to replace the BS one I currently have so I can access the washers to do this but I don't pre set my star drag reels, I adjust the drag as needed when fighting a fish.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Newell Nut

All joking aside now. I just did my favorite test which is the 40 lb dumbbell lift with no slippage test of one of the new hex gears and it passed easily. Backed the star off a bit and drag was silky smooth pumping the rod against the weight on the ground. Tightened up again and lifted the weight easily. Checked to see how much star was left and it was almost a half turn left but hard to turn. That is where the drag jumps into the range that I don't want to stress my rod against with more weights. ;D

Keta

How many CF washers and how thick of CF material did you use?  Mine took five 1.1mm (.045") CF washers using 1mm (.040") metal washers.

Mark Twain

Newell Nut

5 stack and 1.2mm and this is a 6/0.

This is the dinosaur reel with the side access to the drags that I sent to Sal with a bunch of parts. He sent me back a T-Rex fish killing machine.

Keta

That's the reel I'm tinkering with now, the he gear is nice.  I think we can get 6 CF washers in it if we use .035 metal and .090 CF washers.

I just ground out the POS plastic side plate to give me access to the gear stack and it works, I'll do a good sideplate next.

Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 16, 2013, 12:43:55 PM
I don't know how effective your thumb would be on that monster Dabigono  :-\.

I could double the drag #'s  on a 10/0  to 16/0, but we already have too much going on at the moment. I will definitely do it, but at a later time ....stay tuned ;)  ;D.
This is one upgrade I will pass on. The 11 stack is as far as I will go. Being I have over 20 reels in this category, It will put me in the poor house. I am content with their capabilities.
Plus I can see myself cranking down in the heat of battle, biting off more than I can chew. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on November 16, 2013, 05:50:12 PM
That's the reel I'm tinkering with now, the he gear is nice.  I think we can get 6 CF washers in it if we use .035 metal and .090 CF washers.

I just ground out the POS plastic side plate to give me access to the gear stack and it works, I'll do a good sideplate next.
Lee, there is no need to go more than 5, a 5 washer stack will give you 1+9 on those.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 16, 2013, 08:20:33 PM

I could double the drag #'s  on a 10/0  to 16/0, but we already have too much going on at the moment. I will definitely do it, but at a later time ....stay tuned ;)  ;D.
This is one upgrade I will pass on. The 11 stack is as far as I will go. Being I have over 20 reels in this category, It will put me in the poor house. I am content with their capabilities.
Plus I can see myself cranking down in the heat of battle, biting off more than I can chew. ;)
Hey, can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. ;) ;D
Too bad, my reels will be smoother than yours, I'll send one over so you can put the breaks to that nice dog of yours ;)

Black Pearl

This thread is about the PENN 14/0, and it is not about 6/0 with the Hex gear.  ;D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Black Pearl on November 16, 2013, 11:08:51 PM
This thread is about the PENN 14/0, and it is not about 6/0 with the Hex gear.  ;D
Right you are!
Back on the 14/0, yes we could double its drag numbers, on the 14/0 and all of the other Senators ;D.

Ron Jones

So,
Exactly what fish needs the capacity of the 14/0 and 80+#s of drag? I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool, but are we fishing for Orca's now?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 16, 2013, 08:28:11 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 16, 2013, 08:20:33 PM

Hey, can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. ;) ;D
Too bad, my reels will be smoother than yours, I'll send one over so you can put the breaks to that nice dog of yours ;)
I'll be waiting on it Sal!
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on November 16, 2013, 11:50:31 PM
So,
Exactly what fish needs the capacity of the 14/0 and 80+#s of drag? I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool, but are we fishing for Orca's now?
Ron
I hear you Ron, but check the very beginning of the post, yes we could double the drag numbers.
I'm simply answering his question, if he wants to fish it, it's his business ;)
you're  right about your second comment, yes it is cool having an 80+lbs. reel.