Jigmaster 500 - spool binding (Solved)

Started by Rud, November 18, 2013, 11:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rud

I "inherited" these reels from my neighbor and just HAD to get them all back to working condition.

I saved the 500 until last because it was still in a box with a new spare spool. I don't think it was ever used but it was spooled with old mono. So I decided to do a complete teardown, clean out the old grease (it was clean and looked like it was from the factory/a light brown color and not dried up) and re-lube everything (Alan's method) and add carbontex drag washer set with Cal's grease.

Here's the problem – there is about 1/16th inch sideplay to the spool. If I tighten the bushing 40-60, the right lip of the spool rubs/binds against the right side ring along the bottom near the stand. And the bushing is backed out what appears to be too far.

If I slide the spool all the way left – I get the best free spool spin but this leaves a gap between the right spool lip and sideplate (enough that I can slide paper in).

Also, if the spool slides any toward the right, it rubs & hangs up against the sideplate. The pinion engages & disengages just fine and the right side bushing is tight.

I believe the problem may have arisen because I removed ALL the spacer bars and stand during teardown (instead of removing the screws one at a time to apply lube). (I didn't check sideplay or spool rubbing prior to teardown). Maybe I'm torqueing the frame slightly during assembly?

I tried loosening all the stand & spacer screws and slowly tightening first the spacer screws then the stand screws and vice versa – no luck. I also backed out the bridge screws and alternately tightening them in small increments – no luck.
Is there a specific tightening sequence to the stand and spacer screws which keeps the spool/reel aligned?
I'm open to suggestions/education.
Pat

harryk3616

let me say, that's some inheritance, wow.  before you go crazy , try a different spool, maybe one from another reel that works fine, see what happens.

Rud

Ok - so I started swapping parts as suggested.

Swapped spools with another Jigmaster - both workabout the same.
1. Put in another spool from "old Jigmaster" into "new Jigmaster"- maybe just a little less side to side play but it binds also when moved slightly right
2. Mounted the "new Jigmaster" right side (handle) onto  "old left side Jigmaster and spool" - a little better but still binding when the spool is pushed toward "new" handle side.

3. Combined "new left side/clicker" with "old spool and right side" - slightly better than the complete "new Jigmaster".
4. Combined "new left side/clicker and new spool" with "old right side/handle" - this is about the same as the complete "new Jigmaster" setup.

Then I reassembled the old Jigmaster and noticed about the same condition as the new one. There is the same play and I can get a slip of paper between the spool and right side. And if the spool shifts to the right it will bind up.

I should have looked at the old one before all this. Thanks for bringing me back to reality.

Next question - assuming this is normal for these reels - how does a person prevent the spool from shifting to the right?

Pat

Alto Mare

hello Rud, try new or different left and right side bushings....Welcome by the way.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rud

Hi, Sal (read a lot of your posts on here) thanks for responding.

That's got it, Sal (at least for the "old" Jiggy - I put the "new" left side bearing into the old Jigmaster and was able to tighten it down to practically no side play and plenty of free spool spin with no binding on the right sideplate.

Now back to work on the "new Jigmaster". Will probably need to order new left and right side bushings and swapping things around.

thanks for the help & insight guys.
Pat

Irish Jigger

Next question - assuming this is normal for these reels - how does a person prevent the spool from shifting to the right?

Drop a No 6 or 7 lead shot (0."11/0."10 dia) into the right side plate bearing to reduce spool right side slip.Surprising how long they last in there  ;)

Rud

Hey Tom, loved your work on the double dog 500 by the way. Lead shot - I've added that to my arsenal along with brass wood screws, stainless welding rod, thread to handle wayward springs, etc. Those compliment the other home remedies I've picked up elsewhere:
THE best rust remover: - pure oxalic acid bath - won't harm paint or plastic
Best penetrating fluid - 50% Acetone, 40% Antifreeze, 10% Power steering fluid (old mechanics recipe).

Pat

Shark Hunter

Hey Rud.
From the looks of that spool, I say you need a replacement for that as well. It looks broken in the middle.
Life is Good!

Rud

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 19, 2013, 05:29:53 PM
Hey Rud.
From the looks of that spool, I say you need a replacement for that as well. It looks broken in the middle.

Huh, the picture does make it look that way but it's really fine. It's old but it's never been used, in fact, it was wrapped in Penn wrapping paper and in a green spool box packaged with the reel in this box.

Well, I've made some progress - it turns out the spool is NOT binding on the 2-250 R side inner ring after all. I initially thought that to be the case because I saw some red dust particles there and figured it came from the spool rubbing against it. To determine just where it was rubbing, I pushed the spool to the right side and then went around the spool and inserted a small piece of paper between the spool lip and the inner ring. NO binding there.

As it turns out I think it's the shaft of the spool rubbing on the inside of the pinion gear? I thought maybe, in free spool, the pinion was getting cocked and binding on the spool shaft.

So I disassembled the old and new reels and swapped the pinion, yoke and eccentric jack. Alas, it didn't help. Even tried the old spool, but I've got some binding either way. More investigation needed.

The thing that bugs me - When in gear, it's great. When in free spool, it's great as long as the reel is turned slightly left. As soon as the reel is level or slightly to the right, the spool moves just enough to the right and stops because of the binding.

I should just stop right now and use Irish' lead shot in the bushing solution - but this "simple" problem has grabbed me by the egg sinkers and won't let go.
Pat

Irish Jigger

Hi Rud,thank's for your kind words. This is a great Forum for sharing ideas and helping each other and I guess that's what we all like about it. Back to your problem with the 500. I think Sal's suggestion that you try a new Right Side Bearing is a good one as the spool spindle end or the Bearing may be  slightly worn allowing the spool to rub against the Bridge.

Rud

Yes, the new R side bearing is on order (I may get it tomorrow from a local source). Plus, I need a break so it's golfing in the morning. Then back into the "addiction". I keep you updated.
Pat

Rud

I got back into this today and wanted to show you what the reels are doing. I added a new right side bearing (but it didn't seem to make a difference - but at least I have a new bearing in the old Jigmaster. Since I'm not the most illustrative with words, I will include a video.

Old which works fine:

New which binds:

Next I'm going to start swapping parts to see if I can't isolate this problem. I'll keep you posted.
Pat

Rud

Well I had to set this reel aside – only made a little progress. Here's what I tried:

Took out the bridge, pinion, yoke and eccentric jack from both the old and new reels (to better isolate the binding problem). 

New reel - spool still binds when slanted right from center.
   It feels like the shaft is chaffing on the inside of the bushing if fully seated – incorrect alignment.
Swapped bearings from new and old reels. No change.
Put new spool in old reel – spool binds in old reel. This tells me the new spool is bad.
Put new R. side plate on old reel:
        Old spool. OK - no binding. New R. side is good.
   New spool – no good/binds.
Put old spool in new reel.   No good – binding when tilted right. This tells me the new L. side plate is out of alignment.

Loosened all screws in L. side plate then tightened just the front spacer bars. This seemed to make binding less. I tried alternative tightening and loosening sequence with the spacer bars and stand screws but never got any closer.

It appears the spool and the reel are rejects (maybe that's why my neighbor only paid $13.97 25-30 years ago?) At this point it's not worth any more of my time – I'll move on; it's time to fish.

I'll NEVER go back to this reel; it's a waste of time.
In the meantime, as Irish Jigger suggested – the reel could be made very useable with a lead BB shot in the R. side bearing to keep the spool from moving to the right.

(Hmmm, I wonder if swapping out the spacer bars might have some effect?)
???
Pat

alantani

shim both spools to the left a little, either with a new right side bearing (they call it a bearing but it's actually a bushing) or by shoving a small piece of a soda can inside the original bushing to act as a shim.  both spools are banging against the bridge plate.  that happens when the hard stainless steel spool shaft eats into the soft brass bushing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rud

Hi, Alan - I like the idea of the aluminum can (in fact I went ahead and did this to a squidder after reading your post) - but I need more thickness than that. (by the way, I did install a new right side bushing.)

The thickness I need is 0.050 inches (1.25 mm - about the thickness of a dime). This was determined by:
1. With the left side bearing (bushing) adjusted inward to the point the spool would spin without binding - mark the spool at the edge of the right side ring (Point A).
2. manually moving the spool to the right to bottom out in the bushing. Mark the spool at the edge of the right side ring (Point B).

The distance between A & B is 0.050 inches. The shaft starts contacting the inner side of the brass bushing prior to bottoming out. That's why I think it's an reel alignment and/or spool alignment problem.
Pat