Parts for BP 114H hex

Started by BMITCH, November 19, 2013, 10:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

The key word here is "Keyed", not eared washers. Lee, if they are .035. Can you get another CF in?
Sal says that four is enough. I am using .140 CF.
Life is Good!

Cone

I wish the 86-115 keyed washers were the same thickness as the 7-115 eared. The eared washers are thinner. If the keyed washers were thinner the top carbon hex washer would be lower in the gear. As it is now, using 1.2mm carbon it is in danger of coming out of the top of the hex gear using a 5 +1 drag stack. If I get the time I may try take some and thin them down by about half the thickness. I can make up the space with extra spacers or Bellville washers on top of them. 
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

the angle on the hex gears is not sharp it's rounded, four 1.40mm carbon fiber washers and stock metal washers is the safest way to go. That reel generates over 55lbs. of drag.
With Lee's inserts I would be comfortable using 7 carbon fiber washers.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

7 CF washers would make an awfully smooth 40 -50 pound reel. I can't wait.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 22, 2013, 05:36:28 PM
Lee, if they are .035. Can you get another CF in?
Sal says that four is enough. I am using .140 CF.

Quote from: Cone on November 22, 2013, 09:15:18 PM
I wish the 86-115 keyed washers were the same thickness as the 7-115 eared. 

How thick are the factory 115 keyed washers?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bunnlevel Sharker

I don't have calipers or the reel with me to measure it, but they are the same thickness in mine
Grayson Lanier

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 23, 2013, 02:27:44 AM
[62" (1.57mm)

The answer is, no you can't get another CF washer in the stack using .040 metal washers and 1.4mm CF.  I used the 1.20mm CF (.047") and .040 washers and have a 5 CF washer stack.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Well then,lets just make this a little more complicated. Sal says the original washers are .62 and it does fine with a four stack and 1.40 CF. If you cut them .035, that should make room for 5. I'm just worried about heat buildup. The stock washers will hold the heat longer, but will take longer to get hot. The .035's will get hot quicker, but cool off faster. What do you guys think?
Maybe I should just stock with the .40's.
Life is Good!

Keta

I would, the drag is more than needed with 4.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

And keep in mind that 4 hex washers equal 7 standard washers.

Shark Hunter

Alright then, .40's it is. Did you have any cut yet Lee?
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 23, 2013, 04:46:00 AM
Alright then, .40's it is. Did you have any cut yet Lee?

They were going to cut them today but they got busy.  I'm going down to the shop in the morning to get some scrap to practice on with my new TIG welder and I'll ask him if he can get them cut Monday.

Mark Twain

Bunnlevel Sharker

Cals grease and pouring water on the side plate is the solution, getting tagged by the star aint fun. Took a month for what looked like an "alumanati symbol" as some tourist put it to go away from my arm
Grayson Lanier