Need opinions on which reel to buy or build...YTS

Started by sundaytrucka, December 08, 2013, 09:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

BMITCH

Sunday, pedantic....really. I had to freaking look that one up. You never know what you'll learn around here. If only we had a pedantic plinth in which to put the reels on :o
  To answer the question you had. The reason for the narrow spools is line lay on the retrieve. Easier to get it even when retrieving on a narrow then on a normal or wide. That's why most jigging reels come narrow. I only jig with narrows. Broschro has more experience on these and has had no issues. I would go with the narrowed up Penn's every time. This way you can buy and install all the bling.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

broschro

I truly love my narrow reels. Lots of big AJ's and cobia too 40 + #s caught on the 113 and 505 with stock gears at the time. I haven't been out far enough to try out the new ss gears but I will probably wait tell BP gets the new gear and bridge done. Right now lots of black seabass and grouper right offshore about 10 mils out and we got some nice ones last week will post some pics later. Again if you have a tib or accurate frame and aluminum spool, you will have no problems with braid.

sundaytrucka

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 14, 2013, 08:31:49 AM
Here we go again. ::)

I know, I know. lol Just my style...pedantic.

I hear you guys on the narrow for retrieve and jigging. Have never used a narrow version reel before.

Thanks for all the help guys.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

BMITCH

Quote from: sundaytrucka on December 14, 2013, 07:24:34 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 14, 2013, 08:31:49 AM
Here we go again. ::)

I know, I know. lol Just my style...pedantic.

I hear you guys on the narrow for retrieve and jigging. Have never used a narrow version reel before.

Thanks for all the help guys.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

floating doc

Quote from: broschro on December 14, 2013, 03:32:47 PM
I truly love my narrow reels. Lots of big AJ's and cobia too 40 + #s caught on the 113 and 505 with stock gears at the time. I haven't been out far enough to try out the new ss gears but I will probably wait tell BP gets the new gear and bridge done. Right now lots of black seabass and grouper right offshore about 10 mils out and we got some nice ones last week will post some pics later. Again if you have a tib or accurate frame and aluminum spool, you will have no problems with braid.

I've never used a narrowed reel either.  I have a 112HN with the Tiburon frame and spool and am waiting for the new pinion also. I would like to be there when you try yours. You're doing a jigmaster or a 112H?
Central Florida

broschro

I'm doing a 505 99 size, and a 501 with tib frame. April will be a good time to try these out on some cobia and amber jack.im always looking for some help with gas and such. Let me know what your schedules like in the New Year and we will make it happen.im going to try and make it out on a charter in January I will keep you posted.

sundaytrucka

Just so you know, I didn't go all for not on this subject, I decided on the 113H Yellowtail Special. Picked up a topless, narrow Tiburon frame in silver this afternoon.

For a total of $160 invested, for the sake of argument.

Reel has:
4:1 SS Newel Gears
5-1 Carbontex Drag System
SS Gear Sleeve from Bryan
Double, Dual-Engaging SS Dogs from Lee
Topless Narrow Tib Frame

Sorry for bad lighting on pics.

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

maxpowers

I actually have all 3 of the reels in question:

1 113HN - nothing done to it except greased the drags
1 progear 541 all bling out including double dog, ss sleeve, ss gears, 7+1 drag stack
1 113H with t4 frame, all bling out with double dog, ss sleeve, ss gears, modified drag stack via bryan's thin washers, 4 customized carbon fiber drag and dremeled gears. 

just from pulling on the drag the 113HN gives the least high end drag while the 113H give the smoothest and strongest drag.  The 541 is also very smooth.  As for castability the 541 cast the best with the HN coming in close second.  The 113H is a little too big for my hand to cast comfortably.  The 541 feel the most comfortable in my hands due to its smaller size (similar to a jigmaster).

maxpowers

Quote from: floating doc on December 15, 2013, 01:38:36 AM
Quote from: broschro on December 14, 2013, 03:32:47 PM

I've never used a narrowed reel either.  I have a 112HN with the Tiburon frame and spool and am waiting for the new pinion also. I would like to be there when you try yours. You're doing a jigmaster or a 112H?

Doc,

I switched out the BP's 5:1 gears and went back to the 4:1 steel gears I got off the internet.  The gears fit perfectly with the OEM pinion and I feel comfortably fishing the 112H at 18 to 20 lbs drags without issue.  I like the 4:1 ratio on most of my reels as it seem perfectly suited for live bait and throwing jigs.  If you look at most of the smaller 2 speed reels, the low speed is around 3 to 4:1 so with a longer and and oversized handle I am able to fish a 4:1 star drags in a similar manner.

floating doc

Are the steel 4:1 gears a stock Penn part? Are they hard to find?
Central Florida

maxpowers

Quote from: floating doc on January 20, 2014, 03:47:45 AM
Are the steel 4:1 gears a stock Penn part? Are they hard to find?

Doc,  I don't know if they are penn parts or not as they are used.  I got mine for $10 each.  just a bit polishing and dremeling to clean it up a bit.  Feel very solid.  Just look on ebay for 112H gears.  I know they are steel as they are magnetic.

Shark Hunter

The older steel gears are the Bomb! ;D
When I purchase an older 116 or 117, the steel gears are a Bonus! They are very tough! I winched in a 7 foot Blacktip with a 12/0 in a matter of minutes. It was like a Zebco 202 reeling in a Bluegill! ;)
Life is Good!

floating doc

I know that the old Penn steel gears weren't stainless, but I would still take a set. I didn't think they made those for the 112H/jigmaster gear applications.

I'll start watching.
Central Florida

BMITCH

Doc, if I were you I'd sit on it for awhile. If you see a set of gears on the bay then go for it. I think that Alan C may have a resolve in the not to distant future. Those gears when up to par are going to be hands down superior. Just a thought.
Bob