Need opinions on which reel to buy or build...YTS

Started by sundaytrucka, December 08, 2013, 09:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

I am looking into a yellowtail special style reel. I plan on using the YTS special for yo-yo jigging and live bait at the local islands here in So-Cal and the occasional LR trip.

I have a 113H, I just sold the HLW frame that came with it, so I am thinking about purchasing a Tiburon narrow frame and spool conversion. The reel came with 4:1 SS gears, so I would only need to purchase the frame/spool and the SS gear sleeve.

Also looking at the Pro Gear Yellowtail Special, swapping out the gears for the SS ones I have.

Third and final option is a Penn Baja Special. Might be overkill for a yo-yo rig, I see the Baja special as more for throwing LR jigs, mainly for wahoo, and then as a yo-yo/live bait rig. I really like this reel, but feel it may be under utilized as a yo-yo reel.

I feel all the reels are comparable, in their own right, and that is why I am asking. Feel free to drop your opinion on the matter.

Thanks, Scott.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Ron Jones

I think the TANK can't be beat. Either a JVariance kit or a Tib frame and spool will be fine and the cost is in the same ball park. With you existing reel and all the upgrades you'll be close to the price of a Baja, but I think you will have a better reel.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I personally would go with a pro gear yellowtail special. Then benefits of penn's 113h guts with a solid frame.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 08, 2013, 11:42:48 PM
I personally would go with a pro gear yellowtail special. Then benefits of penn's 113h guts with a solid frame.
and internal parts availability, very important part of the equation.  :)

SoCalAngler

The Baja Special and Pro Gear are almost the same with a few main differences. The Progear has all metal frame and side plates and the Baja Special has stainless steel gears and double dog's. For me it was cheaper to either buy the YTS or 113HN than build one.

Alto Mare

I had the honor to work on a 545 Pro Gear not long ago, it is a beautiful reel, but I has some senseless features.
If you're comparing it to the 113h...both out of the box, yes, the Pro Gear shines.
But, if you're comparing the Pro Gear with the 113HN Tank, with all the our latest upgrades, the Tank is a much better reel.
Not starting a war here, Just my thoughts.
Happy fishing!...
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

You could do all the same upgrades to a YTS and have a better reel than a Tank.

sundaytrucka

Thanks for all the input! I am leaning towards an eventual purchase of the pro gear YT special, but only if I cannot find a used or new 113H topless, narrow frame at a good price. I estimate total investment on 113H w/ upgrades would be around $200-$220 if I paid full retail for the Tib frame, could be much less, the frame is holding it up; doing upgrades to the Pro Gear would price it around the Baja Special if I bought new.

Are upgrades on the Pro Gear YTS necessary, or is it the same with a 113H, fun to do and say you did, but not "necessary" for a successful catch?.

I am not making the purchase anytime soon, so I have time to search and buy.

++Oh yeah, does the Pro Gear YTS have a model #, similar to the others, or is the model designation actually YTS?
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: SoCalAngler on December 10, 2013, 07:30:45 AM
You could do all the same upgrades to a YTS and have a better reel than a Tank.
Uh Oh! Some one is calling you out Sal!
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

SoCal Angler, if I would guess my lottery numbers the same as I guessed you answering my comment, I would be a rich man ;D ;D.
Does the 545 or any other 4/0 narrowed Pro Gears come with adjustable bearing cups on right side and left side of the plates?
I have a 113h Tank with Accu-plates that I'm able to adjust the spool or replace the bearings very easily.
That same reel gives me over 35lbs of drag at max using our upgrades, give me an idea on how you were going to get there with the Pro Gear. Also, some of us are still working on some additional upgrades.
I should be receiving a stainless steel bridge with two dogs already installed on it. I already have the jack and yoke in stainless steel, the yoke is heat treated and so will the jack.
I'm sure we're not done yet and no, you won't be able to purchase one today to match it at a better price.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

I should be receiving a stainless steel bridge with two dogs already installed on it. I already have the jack and yoke in stainless steel, the yoke is heat treated and so will the jack.

HOLY COW! :o :o you guys are killing me. Just when I thought ALL the upgrades were done...you pull me back in. Eventually we will run out of parts that should or can be made out of SS. Then and only then will I rest easy to put my reels back together. I'm now lifting weights in order to handle these reels made completely out of SS. They going to start to weigh a bit :D at least me bank book will be a lot lighter!
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Bob, from what I hear, stainless steel is lighter than brass. I just checked my brass sleeve, I was working on one and that sleeve is 1.7oz., the stainless sleeve is 1.6oz.

BMITCH

Thanks Sal. I learn something new here every day.
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!