senator after-market frame

Started by Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B, December 11, 2013, 11:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

please anyone, which frame is on this video? is this a senator or sealine? 1 min 20 secs into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bnnFkZoMdE&feature=em-subs_digest

Shark Hunter

Accurate. They are damn near impossible to get unless you want to pay through the nose.
The last one I saw on ebay went for $250 I believe.
Quite a few members here have them. I am not one of them.
Life is Good!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i think it's a sealine though not a senator. i should have posted this under General Questions...thanks!

Shark Hunter

Looking at it again, I stand corrected. I thought it was a 9/0. Its a Daiwa sealine 600H. They come with this gold looking frame. I thought it was a 9/0 Senator with accurate frame.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAIWA-SEALINE-600H-6-0-BIG-GAME-FISHING-TROLLING-REEL-2-POSITION-HANDLE-USED-/151182161284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233328b584
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Reel say's Captain's Choice.  I think Captain's Choice is from Bass Pro Shop if I'm not mistaken.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bunnlevel Sharker

If it is a captains choice, the 4/0s like to blow up on long runs :o :o
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Ron Jones

80 dollars for a Penn clone with a knock off Acu-Frame. I'm almost tempted to buy one, open it up and see what can be done.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

floating doc

Quote from: noyb72 on December 12, 2013, 04:55:18 AM
80 dollars for a Penn clone with a knock off Acu-Frame. I'm almost tempted to buy one, open it up and see what can be done.
Ron

Try it.  China needs the money!  ;D
Central Florida

pcde123

37lb drag? this knock off has more drag than a senator wahhh?? recovery rate is a slight bit higher than a 113h 28 inches vs 28.9 inches, knock offs alos a bit lighter 41 oz vs 47oz and holds aslight bit more line than a senator 50/475
vs 450/50 , description says "No-nonsense brass and steel guts and gears" all stainless steel insides,1-piece machined-aluminum frame,Heavy-gauge machined-aluminum spool seems to me that bass pro did a good job to put every slight advantage  they could find on the senator, i might grab one of these used on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captains-Choice-Offshore-Angler-4-0-Class-Reel-/201002804605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eccb3657d
4/0 version bidding , no bids yet, tell me if your gonna try bidding on this because i dont wanna compete with fellow alan tani anglers

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i'm tempted too Ron...seems it, at least after watching the video, performed well.

BMITCH

This is interesting  :o if anyone has one of these I would love to see what the " guts" look like. In the past I have bought a couple of reels branded under the cabela's name. They all reside now in the circular file. IMO garbage. Like I said would like a peek at the internals. Not only for materials but also for fit and finish. The other question would be parts.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

You know, we could talk about brand names and manufacturers, but the bottom line is " the proof is in the pudding".
I don't know anything about the Captains-Choice reels, but I do know a little about their rods.
The rod on this test is a Captain-Choice:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8873.msg78917#msg78917
This is one of my favorite rod, I only have one and been looking for a while to get some more.
If anyone finds one, please let me know.
Here is some info on it: Captain-Choice FB564060

I wonder if some other brand name could take the same punishment :-\

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I've been looking for that rod too Sal with no luck.
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Maybe we need to get Sal one of these reels and let him go to town! Again the question would be replacement parts. I've taken apart the cabela's reels (looked a lot like Okuma) but the final finish on the internals was rough. Not much else to say.like a low grade Okuma knock-off. I'll stick with Penn. what else would I do with all the parts I have now not to  mention the $ invested.
luck is the residue of design.