9/0 Frame Kit

Started by broadway, December 16, 2013, 02:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: broadway on February 05, 2014, 04:10:37 PM
Bryan,
   The nice part is that it's not made of aluminum so it shouldn't get any grooves and the fact that it's round should help with that, also.
Thanks
Dom
Whoa, what?  Not aluminum?  Ti? Inconel?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Topshot

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 05, 2014, 11:31:51 PM
Quote from: broadway on February 05, 2014, 04:10:37 PM
Bryan,
   The nice part is that it's not made of aluminum so it shouldn't get any grooves and the fact that it's round should help with that, also.
Thanks
Dom
Whoa, what?  Not aluminum?  Ti? Inconel?
:o what is this material you speak of
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Chris Gatorfan

IDK....But this little one said she has all the time in the world to upgrade
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Cortez_Conversions

Tom, I just love your work.  By the way, if you are going to make another run, would it be possible to lower the from cross bar even more?  There are a few reels that I have worked on that even with the cross bar being as low as it is, there are line groves due the the line angle with a bent rod.  Just wondering if the front could be like the rear to eliminate this?  Just wondering.
[/quote]

But Bryan, if I make the front cross bar like the rear one, everyone will mount their reels backwards and blame me!!!! ;D

All jokes aside, if there is a need, I'll consider it. I just don't want to go thru another revision and prototype if there isn't a need.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Bryan Young

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on February 06, 2014, 12:52:30 AM
But Bryan, if I make the front cross bar like the rear one, everyone will mount their reels backwards and blame me!!!! ;D
Thanks for a good laugh.  I never though about it that way.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

I thought you were talking about the oem penn crossbar. The rest of the frame is aluminum. You must have been talking about the lower crossbar. I don't think it's worth re-doing as I've never seen a rod with a 9/0 bend enough to cause a problem. If that's an issue for you or others maybe a piece of electrically tape would help when your fishing for monsters. I also wonder if balance will be thrown off if a change was made.
Thanks
Dom
I thought you had no use for a 9/0  ???

Topshot

Quote from: broadway on February 06, 2014, 01:20:00 AM
I thought you were talking about the oem penn crossbar. The rest of the frame is aluminum. You must have been talking about the lower crossbar. I don't think it's worth re-doing as I've never seen a rod with a 9/0 bend enough to cause a problem. If that's an issue for you or others maybe a piece of electrically tape would help when your fishing for monsters. I also wonder if balance will be thrown off if a change was made.
Thanks
Dom
I thought you had no use for a 9/0  ???
Question. Why can't you mount the frame the other way?? I accidentally put in on backwards when I installed it the first time and everything still lined up perfectly. I then quickly changed it so I didn't look like an idiot when I posted pictures lol
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

broadway

Chris,
You can turn it around... I do it to my tiburon frames for wire lining when I'm not paying attention... no harm, no foul.
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 05, 2014, 03:50:27 PM

Tom, I just love your work.  By the way, if you are going to make another run, would it be possible to lower the from cross bar even more?  There are a few reels that I have worked on that even with the cross bar being as low as it is, there are line groves due the the line angle with a bent rod.  Just wondering if the front could be like the rear to eliminate this?  Just wondering.
You might not want to do this on larger reels, the line might slice your hand or the foregrip of the rod. :-\
Penn's are lower than the spool hub on smaller reels and go up gradually as you increase the reel size. On the 6/0 the frame post is level with the spool hub, as the reel increases the frame post gets higher...Just an observation. That said, I like mine as they are ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Topshot

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 06, 2014, 03:06:27 AM
Me Too! ;D
x3 hollow core running across my fingers when a big fish has it, doesn't sounds like a good time at all
Michael Baughman

Bryan Young

Good point to keep line up.

Legal Bill

Frame watch!!!

No frame today...

Will update on Monday.

Aiala

I'm finally done! Here's my poor abused 9/0, brought back from the grave and all dressed up in a fabulous couture frame and ready to take me fishing next summer... hurrah!  :D 

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Chris Gatorfan

Great Job Aiala, she is a beauty.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.