THE "BEAST" FROM THE EAST!!!

Started by BMITCH, December 22, 2013, 04:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Shucks Bob, besides the frame screws, bridge screw, eccentric lever, keta krank, and alan tandle...I'm not seeing it.  ???
Is this a test?  ;D ;D

Alto Mare

The only think that is catching my eyes is that star, where is that from?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

BMITCH

Hint.. Full Penn frame. Usually only 5 screws.
luck is the residue of design.

erikpowell

Did you re-align/re-orient the plate so the crank & eccentric are 6 & 12 o'clock position?
Or shall I lay off the hot stuff?  ;D

erikpowell

Wait! Could it be that's not an actual Penn frame??
but an altogether different 1 piece frame with a fake Penn sticker??

Bob, how close are you and Alan Chiu & Broadway Dom?   ;D ;D

DaBigOno

Great job Bob!  Definitely a Beast of a reel...
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

MFB

I don't know much about Penn conventional reels, but it looks good.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Shark Hunter

Ok Bob, Give it up! What the dealio?
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Added three screws to each side. On the penn one piece frames, they only use five screws. I didn't like the way that looked sooooo. Drilled and tapped three extra screws on each side to accept a standard side ring. I know, I know. Over kill for sure! Necessary? No. Needed? No. Pain in the ####? Yes! Neat? Yes! One of a kind? Absolutely ;D the spool is also red from my anniversary edition. I don't think I'll fish it that way though. Ill leave my anniversary reel intact on the shelf.
  The idea for the screws came from Sal. He mentioned McMaster Carr for screws on a previous thread and I went to their site and saw the shortened head cap screws outta SS. I think they look HD. I relly hate the stock Penn screws. So by tapping out the frame with 10-32's the choices were better. The 10-32 is larger than the standard 8-40's and there are a ton of them out there.
  Next on the schedule is to tap out my "Tank" frame to a 6-32 thread size. They are currently a 5-40 which is a bugger to find size.
  Thanks for all the input guys. This was a long build, but now I know it can be done. I really want to thank all of the guys that were the impetus to do such things with our reels. Makes the winter go by easier.
Bob

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Dominick

Bob:  Send her to me, I'll tame the beast for you.  :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

BMITCH

Dominick, I can't wait to use it. Only 7 or 8 months until tuna season :o only 4or five until stripers though. Very excited!

Dominick

Quote from: BMITCH on December 23, 2013, 09:52:34 PM
Dominick, I can't wait to use it. Only 7 or 8 months until tuna season :o only 4or five until stripers though. Very excited!
My friend Joe from Bradley Beach and I will be in Cabo sometime in the last 2 weeks of June.  Join us for some YFT.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Man, that sounds like fun! I bet its Hotter than you know what in June down in Cabo.
Life is Good!