Metered line

Started by BMITCH, December 25, 2013, 08:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Looking to spool a couple reels up with the indicated line. I've used the Diawa stuff in 65# and 80# before and was wondering if anyone has compared these to some of the other metered lines out there.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

Jerry Brown Line One comes marked in 30' sections called Decade.  On my bottom fishing reels I put on 200'-1000' depending on the depth I'm fishing, 50'-900'.

Tough-Line makes Indicator marked every 10' too.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Nuvole

I've been using YGK x4 till I came across Jerry brown.

BMITCH

Yeah, I've been thinking about the JB hollow for a while now :-\ my only apprehension is the splice part of the whole hollow core spectras. I think that I'm going to have to start getting needles and some education. This will bring up a whole new set of questions that I'll be posting? Having never used the JB line I'm real intrested. I've only heard good things about it.

Black Pearl

Too bad, Bob. I did not make any metered line. Otherwise, you will love it... ;)

Dominick

Quote from: BMITCH on December 26, 2013, 04:28:27 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking about the JB hollow for a while now :-\ my only apprehension is the splice part of the whole hollow core spectras. I think that I'm going to have to start getting needles and some education. This will bring up a whole new set of questions that I'll be posting? Having never used the JB line I'm real intrested. I've only heard good things about it.
Bob: I have 2 hollow Da Ho needles N10042 and N13047.  If you want to borrow them to thread mono into JB hollow I'll mail them to you and you can send them back when you are done.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Splicing is easy but hollow ties well too.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Quote from: Pescachaser on December 26, 2013, 06:53:18 PM
Bob: I have 2 hollow Da Ho needles N10042 and N13047.  If you want to borrow them to thread mono into JB hollow I'll mail them to you and you can send them back when you are done.  Dominick

Dominick, that's an awful nice gesture, but like every thing I do this will be a slow progression. Once I'm on it though my OCD kicks in and then nothing but splicing  will go on. Thanks any way. Im going to need my own set of needles for this. Now the work of determining which ones are best for the type of fishing I'm going to do. And let the learning begin!

maxpowers

Bob,

Are you going to splice mono into the hollow braid?  Look up the nail knot bub system, especially with tensioning of the mono.  I have done it without tensioning and has not got the splice to slip very much especially with 4 feet of mono in the hollow braid.  With tensioning you could get down to 18 inches or less in the mono insertion.  You can buy individual needle from Charkbait if you don't need the higher poundage test.  No need to buy a latch needle as you can use a double up fishing wire to do that.

Mike

Three se7ens

I have 2 reels spooled in daiwa saltiga boat braid and I really like it.  It's very thin and smooth, and supple.

conchydong

The first bunch, or batch, of JB decade wasn't so hot.  I think they changed it and it is better now. The line, like all JB, was good but the dye faded out fast and it was hard to determine the color changes. I switched to the Tuf-line indicator and liked it a lot better. Never tried the Daiwa but I highly recommend the Tuf-line if you need indicator. Having said that, JB is still my line of choice for solid colors. BTW JB and Tufline are made in the same mill.

Meanwhile

Quote from: conchydong on January 05, 2014, 01:35:04 AM

The first bunch, or batch, of JB decade wasn't so hot.  I think they changed it and it is better now. The line, like all JB, was good but the dye faded out fast and it was hard to determine the color changes. I switched to the Tuf-line indicator and liked it a lot better. Never tried the Daiwa but I highly recommend the Tuf-line if you need indicator. Having said that, JB is still my line of choice for solid colors. BTW JB and Tufline are made in the same mill.

I still have 1/3 a 2500 yard spool of 65 pound first batch Decade and it faded badly after a few uses.  It is a great fishing line if it were not for the color fading.  I went to solid 60 pound in bright yellow for most of my reels. 

Has anyone found a black pen that can mark line without washing out and not damaging the line?

BMITCH

Thanks guys. This is just the info I was looking for. The JB fading could be a deal breaker. As in so far as solid, I've only tried the PP and suffix. I liked the feel of the Diawa indicator, very smooth. I think I'm going to stay with that for now and try some of the JB and BP solid lines for my other applications. That's what's so great about this site, real life testing and opinions without any bias.
Bob

Drisse

I'm into buying a bulkspool with multicolor braid with 10meter indication. The diameter should be around 0,30 -0,36mm with quite good kg strenght. I found Daiwa Saltiga Boat and Berkley Salty Stage Jigging and Sufix Matrix Pro Multicolour. Any more advices that I've missed. Opinions about the quality ?

Keta

JB makes something similar and I sell it at a fairly good price.

Mark Twain