Shark rigs

Started by Shark Hunter, January 12, 2014, 10:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish

Thanks for sharing Shark Hunter, why do you use a length of wire and then cable? Why not cable all the way? What is the advantage of the wire?

Shark Hunter

Cable can be bitten through a lot easier than the wire. If he is hooked in the corner of the mouth, its not an issue, but think about it. If his teeth get a good bite on the cable, its all over. With the wire, it is harder for him to get a bite on it.
Life is Good!

saltydog

And a the shorter wire section at the front can be changed after each shark if it is twisted or shows signs of wear or you jst need to change out the size of the hook no crimpers needed.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

I still use cable leaders too. The cable at the start and then 400 lb mono to the main line. I'm just getting some big rigs ready. ;)
Life is Good!

CapeFish

Quote from: saltydog on January 13, 2014, 02:30:01 PM
And a the shorter wire section at the front can be changed after each shark if it is twisted or shows signs of wear or you jst need to change out the size of the hook no crimpers needed.

Aha! Clever plan. I won't really use such traces as I cast and simply knot the cable (I used to crimp uncoated cable until I broke my crimping tool) but still interesting way of doing it. Does the wire not cut the shark sometimes though or run a higher risk of snapping if it gets a kink? I understand the bite off risk,

Shark Hunter

Its Fishing. Anything can happen. Hours of Preparation pay off in the fight. ;)
Life is Good!

saltydog

If you use a new piece of wire after each shark or at least cut of the twisted section and re haywire your hook on you have very little chance of a wire kinking and breaking. Most of those stories you hear about wire are from people who use there leader multiple time on multiple fish, wire is super cheap and switching out between fish is the only way to go.

On the next point there skin is super tough and have never seen a wire cut into there mouth or body.
MacArthur

Chris Gatorfan

Tackle Maint. is as important as reel maint. We evaluate each leader we use whether we catch a fish or not. There are so many variables when it comes to the oceans. I.E. Sandbars, smaller predator fish (Blues, Mackeral), Barnicles around piling, wrecks, reefs. Not to mention the abuse from a fight  or just corrossion itself. Any leader new or used can come apart, but there is definitely a bigger sence of accomplishment when you can reel in a beast off of leaders that you built with your own hands.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Chris Gatorfan on January 14, 2014, 04:47:28 PM
there is definitely a bigger sence of accomplishment when you can reel in a beast off of leaders that you built with your own hands.
Indeed! ;)
Life is Good!

saltydog

It is always more fun on your rigs.
MacArthur

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bunnlevel Sharker

Daron......less wire, more cable  ;) I'd say 6ft of wire and 22-24 of cable at least.......more running room with the bait ya know?
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

If the wire gets messed up, I can just cut off the bad part and still be good for several times. Just thinking of the long haul. I can always cut the wire and hook up a 30' mono sliding trace. I used this setup and it works good for me. I have at least a 25' to 35' leader that I can't reel in either way. Its kind of hard to tie 480lb cable to 130 mono. I double crimp everything with 2.2 copper crimps and stainless thimbles. Where I Shark Fish, I don't need a lot of weight, I'm talking 1 1/2 ounce. It drops off quick. I think this set up is perfect for the Monster I Seek! From the drop off to the beach, this is perfect. ;)
Life is Good!