Shark rigs

Started by Shark Hunter, January 12, 2014, 10:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caranx

Hi,
I see how you finished off your haywire twist by cutting of the tag end with snips. That little tag end can be like a sharp barb.
Try bending the wire tag end (about 1-1/2" to 2") along the length of the wire leader from hook side to the other side back and forth a few times with a plier or your fingers and the wire will break clean real close to the finished end. It'll get a little hot and snap right off. You will not feel anything sharp there. Nice and safe for handling.
Start at a 90 degree angle first then start your bending towards the hook or other end. If you use pliers, take hold of the wire about a 1/4" to 3/8" from the coil you just made.
Just a tip that I'd like to pass on.
Fish on,
Stuart

Shark Hunter

Thanks Stuart, You Shark Fish?
Life is Good!

saltydog

Stuart is right, breaking the wire is the only way to go because it does not leave sharp edges for your hands to get cut on.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Caranx

Hi Shark,

No I don't. But I have caught a few tigers, hammerheads and reefs unintentionally.
The one's I've brought in are in the 7-8 foot range. All the larger ones are "sayonara" runs.
We just try to button down the brakes and hope the Albright knot gives so that we get all our line back. :-\
If we see the spool emptying, three guys are holding the rod and another with the cutters!

Fish on,
Stuart

Shark Hunter

Well, Hopefully I will unintentionally catch a few of those myself. ;)
Life is Good!

Caranx

You're all set to catch the big one! It'll come.